October 2021 Challenge - Chuck Berry cover

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
OK...so I promised loslunas (Steve) that I'd start doing some recordings again...its been a while...figured this was an easy way to start...had to relearn the recording process so I used Audacity instead of Studio One...go figure...also had to sing and play at the same time...this is a one and done deal so the aspiration level wasn't very high...and I didn't exceed it...:rolleyes:

this is an old Chuck Berry song that always went over well in a bar...yep...we used to do the standard CB songs, Jonny B Good, Carol, etc. but this was my favorite...:whistle::whistle::whistle:...and it always had good audience particpation...

As Chuck Berry would say, "This is my Alma Marta"

...later.

cowboy

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Hey!
Welcome to the party Cowboy.

Great choice of songs.
Performed and recorded just right.
Like riding a bike, you have not forgotten!

(y)(y)(y)

sloslunas

NM Blues
OK...so I promised loslunas (Steve) that I'd start doing some recordings again...its been a while...figured this was an easy way to start...had to relearn the recording process so I used Audacity instead of Studio One...go figure...also had to sing and play at the same time...this is a one and done deal so the aspiration level wasn't very high...and I didn't exceed it...:rolleyes:

this is an old Chuck Berry song that always went over well in a bar...yep...we used to do the standard CB songs, Jonny B Good, Carol, etc. but this was my favorite...:whistle::whistle::whistle:...and it always had good audience particpation...

As Chuck Berry would say, "This is my Alma Marta"

...later.

cowboy
Great to see you jump in brother! I didn't realize that there were vocals until I maxed out the volume. Then again I was listening on my tablet so that may have been the issue? Anyway, looking forward to some more of your recordings....

Steve

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Alright guys I been gone for a few days---it is always fun to leave for awhile during these challenges and come back to see what has popped up.
Good job there Paleo--you got down pretty darn close good sound:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.
Papa: I don't ever remember that one but it has all that Chuck Berry thing going for it----He loved his cars, especially Cadillacs. I really enjoyed it:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Cowboy: It's nice to see you down here joining the madness. That was probably Chucks last big hit 71 or 72 I think. The right channel was a little loud for the vocals on the left but all in all pretty good fun song.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
All right, I've done one. It's Down The Road A Piece, and I used @Griff's new Chuck Berry course for the intro and solos (and my sore fingers got a little sloppy but, hey, even Chuck didn't always hit every note, right?)

I used lyrics from the original version of this song by the Will Bradley Trio (link here), but the rest of the look and feel is from Chuck Berry (link here). Tracks are a drum groove (programmed by hand in Studio One), bass guitar (Squier P-bass), 2 rhythm guitars (PRS on neck P/U), a lead guitar (PRS on bridge P/U) and vocal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f13vu003gaxq7rk/Down The Road A Piece dvs.mp3?dl=0

Last edited:

sloslunas

NM Blues
All right, I've done one. It's Down The Road A Piece, and I used @Griff's new Chuck Berry course for the intro and solos (and my sore fingers got a little sloppy but, hey, even Chuck didn't always hit every note, right?)

I used lyrics from the original version of this song by the Will Bradley Trio (link here), but the rest of the look and feel is from Chuck Berry (link here). Tracks are a drum groove (programmed by hand in Studio One), bass guitar (Squier P-bass), 2 rhythm guitars (PRS on neck P/U), a lead guitar (PRS on bridge P/U) and vocal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f13vu003gaxq7rk/Down The Road A Piece dvs.mp3?dl=0
Great toon and very well done! Rock on brother...

Steve

Reactions: dvs

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Never realized til now how much Dylan took from Chuck Berry. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
End of the month catching up....
@cowboy great to see you in the challenge and a fine entry! On my setup the vocals could have been goosed up a bit but good fun all in all!!! (y)(y)(y)
@dvs getting the real deal going, very nice! I cracked up at the set of trills (name?) coming off the guitar around the turnarounds, :) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: !
@BraylonJennings yeah , yeah , yeah. You take a tune and really put some something under it, consistently! Another fine job Braylon! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey now!
Yeah yeah, more guitar but, ..........the vocal is nice!
You're step'n out there buddy!

A few tweaks and you'll be top notch (y)

Last edited: