October 2021 Challenge - Chuck Berry cover

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It probably doesn't hurt that @Griff is releasing his How To Play The Blues Like Chuck Berry course.
Since it's almost October, I thought it might be appropriate to put up the sticky post for the challenge. I was going through the Chuck Berry discography this morning and there is absolutely no shortage of Berry compositions and performances available, whether you want to exactly cover a Berry tune, pick someone else's cover of one of his songs or roll your own!

Have fun and enjoy!

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Dag-gone you Elwood:---I was just telling Sharon about the Chuck Berry challenge and told her--"I think I will do "Nadine". Oh well, you did it justice and probably better than I would have. This challenge is in my life time ERA. I know more than 1 or 2--still can't play guitar, but I will give it my best.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Looks like in Feb of 2020 I got this ready for the challenge, or at least that is when I first posted it. :)
Rather than come in during the late end of the month here is mine a few days early.
I was just being silly, having fun with the 314. :whistle:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/5nbtpm5256vl9q5/NadineFX.wav?dl=0

Here's to a great October! :Beer:
What a cool kick-off to the challenge. It's almost enough to make me want an acoustic guitar! Almost...
I really enjoy both your playing and your vocals on this one.

Elwood

Blues
"I think I will do "Nadine".
Do it! (y) It is always fun to hear you :thumbup: and another take on the tune can't hurt. :Beer: I might even take another stab at it, it's been a while. ;)

It's almost enough to make me want an acoustic guitar! Almost...
I figure we both like acoustic guitars. :whistle: I just like the ones that sound good before you plug em in too. :D (just flipping you a little, you know I really say "it's all good")

Thanks guys! and with that we are off! :)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Chucks got to many songs out there to duplicate. I already have 2 more on my mind, and if someone covers them-I got another 2..
This would be a good challenge for one of our players to tackle "Memphis", Lonnie Mack style.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x7x6ts3zaji6mo/TIRTYDAY.WAV?dl=0
This is a early one -been raining all week. I guess he wrote as a tribute to Hank Williams, I screwed it up pretty good. The guitar and tamborine are tingy sounding so you might want to add some bass. The delay is kind of heavy too but I hope you can live with it. I will try and be a little more Chuck Berry on my next even if I have to super glue a pick thumb.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I only sang it twice---the "no nothing" channel and used a "TCHELICON---Critical mass pedal" -in the octave higher and a octave lower setting which gives the effect of many voices I should have just used it on the chourse but got lazy.
Thanks.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Thanks guys.

I didn't recognize the song when going through Griff's course.

Even though I have the Chess Box Set, I haven't listened to it in years. :whistle:

It was very convenient that Griff transcribed the solo and provided the backing track.

So it was the logical choice. :sneaky: