Note Vibrato

J

jf3

Hey all,
I'm having a heck of a time with vibrato. My vibrato basically sucks. By the time I get the 'high pitch' of the vibrato high enough, I've also gone into the next string, causing all kinds of unwanted noise(s). Does anyone have any advice for me? I was kind of hoping that this would be part of the soloing without scales course, but don't see anything about it....

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I think Griff mentions somewhere (I was thinking that it was the first SWS lesson, but it may have been somewhere in BGU) not to force the vibrato that it would eventually just work itself out.  I may have dreamed it, but I'm thinking I heard him say that.  Not that it's much help to you right now.

Personally, I've found that when I do use vibrato I usually end up pulling the string more than pushing it so the next string down may ring a little bit.  To correct that I'll quickly drop a second finger down and use it to ever so slightly touch that string to keep it silent.  So when I use vibrato I almost always have two fingers on the strings/fret board.  Honestly, I'm full of bad habits I'm trying to correct, and that may be one of them, but it works for me.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
You are right snarf.  In BGU Griff says not to worry about the vibrato because it will come....and he is right.  I'm starting to get it a little now.  Still have trouble doing vibrato with bends but i'm a lot closer.  It will come guys so don't worry about it just yet.

And bending with 2 fingers on the string isnt a bad habit.  It's a good habit.  Stick at it.

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
I'm pretty sure Griff says that in every lesson. The reason for this is that it really is something that just comes on its own out of feeling. That's why people who are good at it just accidentally do it all the time, because it feels right.

As far as technique goes, think of it more as a quick multi-bend and release, where you're only slightly bending the strings up and down. Kind of a tiny bend, not even enough to be considered a quarter bend. I usually start by pulling down first now that I think about it. It will be easiest for now if you just stick to the space between strings to move it around. You may not quite get the sound you want as audibly as you want it, but it will help you get used to how to control it. This is one technique where your brain really has no reason being involved. Just let the feeling of the music guide you.

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
I can't do that BB finger shake so I just shake the heck out of the neck.  It works for me. 

gpower

Blues Junior
It is a technique that will just come to you after a while. When I first began trying to get it, I found that just holding a note and slowly modulating it back and forth (kinda slight bend in both directions) helped.

L

Lame_Pinky

There are 2 kinds of vibrato - probably more but I'm not counting today - there is vibrato added to the bent string usually at the top of the bend & there is vibrato added to a note that is not bent. Al mentioned BB King & he isa perfect example of both kinds of vibrato.when i use my 3rd finger for vibrato on a " non-bent " string I actually bend about a 1/4 same with middle finger on my 1st finger though I do not have to bend the note at all just vibrato the life out of the string.My vibrato is & has always been better than my bends.As Griff has mentioned & snarf pointed it out it is not a technique that comes to you very quickly it will, however develop over time.

LP

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Griff mentions in both the BBG and SWS that vibrato will come on its own. I try it each day but it is weak. I know it will come. While doing SWS today I tried it at the top of a bend. Well I am here to tell you that didin't work so well.LOL

henryj

Blues Newbie
I find Vibrato to be more attitude than action.  I'm still learning to do it but on those special nights it works.

You've hear the expression "Dance like nobody's watching".

Well put on your fedora and shades and play like nobody's listening. 

You'll suprise yourself.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
I never really sat and practiced vibrato - and even if you do, I don't think it would help much because it has to happen in context and the timing has to be right or it sounds mechanical.

It's really a side effect of your fingers gaining strength and control, which results in your being able to express your feeling through them.  :cool:

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
I never really sat and practiced vibrato - and even if you do, I don't think it would help much because it has to happen in context and the timing has to be right or it sounds mechanical.

It's really a side effect of your fingers gaining strength and control, which results in your being able to express your feeling through them.  :cool:

With me, the vibrato has slowly come on it's own without any conscious effort on my part, just as Griff said it would.  And I think it's just as Wayne said, a matter of gaining strenght & control in your fingers that enables it.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Exactly - if you can't do the vibrato, it's because you can't play the notes well enough on their own. Once you can play the notes with enough confidence and control, you'll decide you want to hear a little "sugar" and there it'll be.
Griff