Notation Software

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
For those members using Studio One, is anyone using the PreSonus offering that pairs with Studio One, Notion?

If so, what are you thoughts on it.

If not, what are you using?

I want to do everything from simple charts to printing out Guitar and Bass tab. Maybe even do full scores someday. So what works?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I haven't yet used Notion, but I'm planning on it. After the holidays, I plan on either buying Notion or trying out Presonus Sphere, which will give me access to Notion, so I can test drive it to see how well I like it. Sphere is $15 a month, so I can sample the milk without buying the cow.

Having said that, I've used played with the Score view in the MIDI editor, which supposedly borrows code from Notion. It is pretty limited in what it can do as far as writing (unless you're heavily into MIDI), but the scores it produces are pretty good. I've also watched a couple videos on using Notion to write guitar notation and tab and what I saw was pretty cool in how it assembles tab, giving you the ability to take a phrase and place it on any strings where the note are valid. Also, when you specify the instrument voice you want to use, it will also produce appropriately transposed notation for individual instruments.

I realize this isn't much of an answer to your question, but it's a question I've been asking as well, and I plan to dive into it shortly.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
are you talking about software that writes notation from what you play ?
Yes. The Score Viewer in Studio One will prepare a score for any MIDI parts. With careful use of Melodyne, it can even do conversion from individual instrument recorded WAV files. I've used it in notating individual note guitar solos. The score viewer in Studio One V5 won't produce guitar tab, but Notion, which is what @Zzzen Dog is talking about will produce guitar tab.

I doubt that even Notion will produce perfectly faithful transcriptions, but I haven't yet tried it, so that's purely conjecture on my part.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Yes. The Score Viewer in Studio One will prepare a score for any MIDI parts. With careful use of Melodyne, it can even do conversion from individual instrument recorded WAV files. I've used it in notating individual note guitar solos. The score viewer in Studio One V5 won't produce guitar tab, but Notion, which is what @Zzzen Dog is talking about will produce guitar tab.

I doubt that even Notion will produce perfectly faithful transcriptions, but I haven't yet tried it, so that's purely conjecture on my part.
damn, that would be cool, then I dont have to remember what I played

BigMike

Blues Oldie
If your aim is to eventually write scores, then Notion would probably be a good bet for you. It is a fairly extensive application for writing music and its interface with S1 is reall useful. Like Papa says, if you are with Prime you can try it out and see if you like it. Also, presonus usually have a sale at some time in the year and Notion usually goes at a big discount.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
After considering opinions here and with friends and family, I've decided to go the PreSonus Sphere route. Gives me access to a Pro version of Studio One, Notion, all the plug-ins, online storage and collaboration. Probably more than I'll need, but the monthly cost verses purchases, upgrade, and other ancillary costs kinda makes it a no brainer for me.

I'll try and install in the next couple of days.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Notion is on sale until midnight Dec 31 for $105. That's around $50 off.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
FWIW I bought it and it seems really powerful, but intuitive it is NOT.
IMO, GP7 is infinitely easier to use. I'm still struggling with entering notes in the tab format.
One kinda cool thing it can do is import a Guitar Pro file (GP3, GP4, GP5, but not GP6 or GP7), then you can export it directly to S1. I haven't gotten the instruments to sound right just yet. (Bass sounds goo, but the guitar sounds like a keyboard)

Last edited:

aleclee

Tribe of One
One funky thing that I noted (no pun intended) when I got a MIDI guitar was that I could send six channels of data (one for each string) to my DAW (Logic Pro X). With the context of which string notes were played on, Logic could not only output a score but it could actually generate tab. Not sure if S1 has a similar capability and it's probably more of an investment than you're interested in making but thought it was an interesting way to transcribe parts.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
One funky thing that I noted (no pun intended) when I got a MIDI guitar was that I could send six channels of data (one for each string) to my DAW (Logic Pro X). With the context of which string notes were played on, Logic could not only output a score but it could actually generate tab. Not sure if S1 has a similar capability and it's probably more of an investment than you're interested in making but thought it was an interesting way to transcribe parts.
Studio One won't do it but Notion will. From what little I've learned about it, that was something they proudly mentioned.