Not avoiding you my friends

Russ

Blues Newbie
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that I'm not avoiding posting new videos. I'm having trouble with my computer suddenly not reading my camera. I've tried everything I know and just can't figure it out. That must actually mean something because my wife tells me I know enough about computers to be "dangerous".
Not only that, my night job is killing me. I don't have but maybe 1 hour between the end of my trucking shift and sleep. (As a truck driver, I feel rest is more important, even though playing calms me. (See my delemna)). I spend as much time as I can with the wife, then try to get at least a few minutes in with the guitars. Of course on the weekends, my sleeping schedule is COMPLETELY messed up to spend time with the wife and kids which exhausts me even more. I've had to resort to attempting to treat the electric like an acoustic and practice with it unplugged, in the laundry room while our daughters are sleeping in the next room. It's not that I'm losing interest, but I am losing the willingness to keep going. I've actually thought about putting them away until I can find a day job, but I can't bring myself to do it. It's like I know they (and this forum) are the only hope I have of staying sane or something.
Until recently, I found it very discouraging that people who've only had the BBG/BGU programs for short periods could be so much further than myself. Then I reminded myself of the hours I keep and everyone learns at their own pace, bla, bla.
The forum has grown so fast that, like JohnC and the other moderators, I don't have time to watch, or comment on everything. I wanted you all to know that I do spend 99% of forum time reading and listening to BBG posts. It's where I feel my skills have had to settle for a while.
OK. I'll stop spouting. I just had to get that off my chest.
Thanks guys AND GALS.
Russ

PS. Finley still "helps" me practice every time.

BignJames

Blues Newbie
Hey Russ,

I work a swing shift, so I feel your pain :eek: Try to get the git in your hands everyday if you can...even if it's only enough time to do a few scales/chords....it'll produce benefits in the long run. Don't fret about others passing you by, you'll progress at your own pace anyway. I'm sure someone makes amped headphones, if you think that may help.  Hang in there and keep sloggin', buddy.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Remember Russ,  It's at your own pace and it's not a race!  Take your time and enjoy what you're doing! Progress, no matter how little it may seem, is still progress!

Keep the faith my friend, we'll get there!

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
I do a lot of that as well, I find it pretty useful to 'hear' my mistakes instead of 'wincing' at them.

Just doing what you can & loving it will keep you moving in the right direction Russ :)

I

IrishRover

Hey Russ, remember you are doing this (the course and the forum) for you and not for us.  We're the help and support - not the competition.  We're all on the same team.  We will be here when you need us.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah Russ, life can get in the way sometimes. Sounds like you have a tough priority list, but you have them in the right order. As much as we all love to play, Family, work, then Play is the order. I'd hate to see you pack your guitar away though. I know that it doesn't take much to let weeks turn into months which can turn into years, And I agree with James. Even if it's just to run a few scales for 10 or 15 minutes, a couple of times a week, keep your axe out and within reach.

I

IrishRover

I know what family is, but work???? work???  oooooh yeah, it's that thing I used to do before I retired bwahahahahahah ;D ;D ;D

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
I've worked 4 months out of the last 11.
Good thing we have unemployment insurance.
At 58 it's a nice taste of what real retirement holds.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Russ, not to worry, and don't stress about it because that will make it worse.  Things are tough everywhere right now for those of us that are not retired.   I could get a lot more practice in if I did not work 12-14 hours days, 6-7 times a week.  

We will still be here when you need us!

johnc

systematic
Russ, we do miss you around here and regardless of your perceived progress you are a valued part of this little group.
You are only one man and you have to do what is best for you and your family, always number one.  Hobbies and personal interests just have to be put aside at times, just try and keep in there just a little even if just on the weekend and drop in and say hi when you can.  Let us know how you are going.
All the best with finding a job with friendlier hours.

gpower

Blues Junior
Hey Russ, glad to see you haven't left us. Keep pickin' and say hi when ya can. We're all here to share.

SeattleSlim

Blues Newbie
Hi Russ,
Check in when you can. You are always welcome and valued here. What we all know here on this forum is that we share a love of music and blues guitar, but what is not revealed clearly is the story of each of our lives. It would be a shame if participation in BGU became a source of burden and pressure for you, and not a place for fun and pleasure in your interest in blues. Hang in there, and visit when you are able.