Not A Tip, Just A Good Example of Mastering

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
The subject of mastering came up in a different forum discussion.
Thought I'd share this video
I quite certain a Google search will give you lots of examples, demos and tutorials on the subject.
I found this to be very wonderful example of a mastering engineer in action.

Of course there are software solutions like Ozone that can get you close but, one of the newest things in mastering is on line instant mastering.
In that case, upload your mix and it's insyantly mastered.....those are compared in this video.

Even with crappy headphones on my laptop, I'm blown away on how much a mix can be enhanced with top notch mastering:

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Overall, and yeah, I watched the full thing. Just looking at the audio chain you can see where it appears to shove an entire living room into a coat closet (only analogy I could think of)

Any kind of AI is going to have a pre set idea I think, so you can never replace a musician / engineer, maybe for like EDM or something, but nothing where it's more feel based, you cant just slam every song with a limiter and compressor.

But then again, I have been using the instant settings and just now really trying to learn mixing and mastering so all I can go on is what I enjoy hearing

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
This entire music production thing is fascinating.
It starts out with very simple concepts seven notes & maybe some lyrics but yet, it can take so many forms and evoke such emotion.
When you add simple effects and basic mixing it can be crafted into a great recording.
Just a few adjustments here and there in mastering can make it pop.

Good news is, technology has given us all the opportunity to get in the game.
Bad news is, it's easy to get lost with so many options.

If you start with a well written song, a good performance that's captured well, you've got a chance of producing something decent.