Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've mentioned a couple of times that I ditched my face teacher because I just wasn't seeing or feeling the benefit for a variety of reasons. The biggest thing he did, in my opinion, was to introduce me to 3 or 4 good songs I had never heard before. One was Clapton doing Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out. So I started trying to learn that one about a month ago.

I think I'm pretty comfortable with the accompaniment part of the song, so I've worked the last couple of week or so trying to come up with the guitar solo part of it. Here's the general idea of what I have so far with a couple of hiccups. Not sure I'm happy with it. I don't feel like I'm playing the same riffs, but I feel like I'm playing the same melodic ideas in both sections. And I feel like I should mention, I'm using the Clapton style and vibe, not trying to play what he played.

Thoughts or ideas for it? What can I do different? I skip all the preliminary and cut straight to the break, so it starts right off.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hmm,
I like what you're doing.
The rhythm sound right on:thumbup:...I assume your playing that.

I'm struggling to express what I think I'm hearing with the lead part.
There might be a slight timing issue.
Overall, I think any issues lie in the tone/mix.
Only reco I'd have would be to alter the tone on the lead.
Maybe play on a different pickup, dial the tone knob or add a little distortion?
There's just a slight disconnect between the two parts.
Playing the right notes, the same song, but it doesn't sound like it fits together for some reason.
It could just be a little timing issue.

I think you're damn close to nailing it.(y)

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Hmm,
I like what you're doing.
The rhythm sound right on:thumbup:...I assume your playing that.

I'm struggling to express what I think I'm hearing with the lead part.
There might be a slight timing issue.
Overall, I think any issues lie in the tone/mix.
Only reco I'd have would be to alter the tone on the lead.
Maybe play on a different pickup, dial the tone knob or add a little distortion?
There's just a slight disconnect between the two parts.
Playing the right notes, the same song, but it doesn't sound like it fits together for some reason.
It could just be a little timing issue.

I think you're damn close to nailing it.(y)
Maybe what you're hearing is what I'm hearing too. When I'm playing it, I think I like it. When I listen back to it, it's just...something doesn't seem to mesh.

For the timing, there were a couple of spots where I know I didn't come in quite on time. And I hadn't thought about the lead tone getting lost in the mix of it. When I recorded it, honestly, I wasn't thinking about posting it. It was more from a "let me see how this sounds" perspective. I looped the rhythm, and then was just playing the solo on top of it. No swapping to a different pup or raising the volume or anything. I did kick my leslie-ish pedal on a time or two before the one that I posted, and thought it totally didn't fit the song, so turned it back off.

Maybe I'll try it again but throw it on the bridge pup and see if that changes anything. I appreciate the feedback! :Beer:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Dave; That was good--nice picking there Buddy--(way over my head)--that's some fancy stuff there...I liked the heck out of it. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: