NG'sD

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Yes that's plural, as in two.

I've been jonesing for a Jazz Box/Blues Box for a while and every time I go to guitar center I always end up with an Epi Joe Pass in my hands so I decided to finally get one.

Sweetwater didn't have any more in 'Natural' so last Thursday I went to Reverb and found a B-Stock available for $100.00 less than new from a gutar shop in Maryland, so I went for it.
Amazingly, it arrived the next day and It needed a setup and the strings were absolute crap, but after I worked with it for a while and put on a new set of D'Addario Blues 11's, it came to life! The ProBuckers really crank (I actually turned down the volume knob which I never do) and are quite full with plenty of bottom-end and mids and both pups are coil-tapped and there's no loss of volume which was a pleasant surprise.

What a great Blues guitar this is gonna be! :Beer:

So then I was reading a post here this past Tuesday (about the Geddy Lee auction) which linked to Guitar Player online and while there I clicked on 'Gear' just to see what's up and I happened upon an article about the Fender Meteora.
I instantly liked the look of the guitar (especially the HH setup) and I started searching for one in 'Lake Placid Blue' and found that they were hard to find --- but wait! My local Guitar Center claimed it had one.

So I went there today to buy strings and maybe check out the Meteora and as advertised, they had one on the wall and so I sat down with it and right then I knew I had to have it.
It's brand new but I noticed a microscopic fret sprout on two frets and asked if I could get some love for that and they knocked $100.00 off and still gave me the price guarantee if I should come across one cheaper in the near future.

It comes strung up with 9's which are extremely light (I will probably string this one up with 11's too, but I might try some 10's first), but it still plays beautifully and the humbuckers really have some balls! It's also coil-tapped so that when activated it turns both 'buckers into single coils and I love the hardtail with the Tune-o-matic bridge (I think Fender calls it an 'All-o-Matic') and the through-body ferrules. It has a 9.5" radius fingerboard which I have never really played (all my other guitars are 12" except for the Martin which is 14, I believe) but it feels just fine; no lifting off the frets or any trouble with fingering.

I love them both! :D

Here's a pic of the new arrivals:

JPMe.jpg

P.S., The wife knows about the Joe Pass but the Fender was pure 'spur of the moment' so I'm just gonna slide it into the rack and act as if it's been there all along. :whistle:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
P.S., The wife knows about the Joe Pass but the Fender was pure 'spur of the moment' so I'm just gonna slide it into the rack and act as if it's been there all along. :whistle:

This sometimes works for me until one of the son-in-laws is over and asks me (in front of my wife) when I got the new guitar. Congrats on the new family members. Hope they sound as good as they look.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Wow, impressive! i usually wait a couple of years between buying guitars (I know, I’m working on my problem).

RussellC

Blues Newbie
Awesome...Christmas came early this year for you! :Beer: "I'm just gonna slide it into the rack and act as if it's been there all along". That sounds like a great plan. (y)

ronico

rainyislandblues
"So I went there today to buy strings and maybe check out the Meteora and as advertised, they had one on the wall and so I sat down with it and right then I knew I had to have it."
Bwahahaha! Ya gotta wonder how a set of strings can get so pricey! Gotta write that one down!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Atta boy!Good work!! And you better keep the herd moving around Bud!

ronico

rainyislandblues
Hi jPsuff! I'm wondering if the HBs in your new Meteora are the same as Fender put in my recently acquired player Tele? Can't quite nail it down in my latest sniffin' around. Also, got more love for one or the other of you're new girls or still too early to tell? They must be keeping you busy! Love the blue but it must be difficult to blend in with the herd.:whistle:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Hi jPsuff! I'm wondering if the HBs in your new Meteora are the same as Fender put in my recently acquired player Tele? Can't quite nail it down in my latest sniffin' around. Also, got more love for one or the other of you're new girls or still too early to tell? They must be keeping you busy! Love the blue but it must be difficult to blend in with the herd.:whistle:

Not sure yet.
They definitely have different personalities.
Right now I would say that the JP has a more "Old School" feel -- very emotive with a big full sound.
The Fender is more slinky and plays much faster (I might even keep the 9's) and is more of a modern 'electric blues' rig.

I believe the Fender pickups are Alnico II's that seem to be wound a bit hotter. They definitely have an edge to them but they're not super hot.

Both guitars sound beautiful through my Blackstar and that's all that matters to me! :thumbup:

Bogney

Blues Newbie
I bought a Seafoam green Meteora second hand, mint condition, and love it. It deserves a better player than me, but it’s fun to play. I had been playing mostly a steel stringed acoustic, and the Metereora is much easier on the finger tips ( I suspect all electrics are), though I have to watch out for accidental bends, now. Mine has a buzz when my fingers are off the frets, but it doesn’t matter much while playing it, and it goes away with the gain dialed down. Very happy with it. The blue looks great, too. Congrats on that and the JP.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I bought a Seafoam green Meteora second hand, mint condition, and love it. It deserves a better player than me, but it’s fun to play. I had been playing mostly a steel stringed acoustic, and the Metereora is much easier on the finger tips ( I suspect all electrics are), though I have to watch out for accidental bends, now. Mine has a buzz when my fingers are off the frets, but it doesn’t matter much while playing it, and it goes away with the gain dialed down. Very happy with it. The blue looks great, too. Congrats on that and the JP.

"It's fun to play" is the best way to describe it!

As for any fret buzz, I like a very low action and when I dropped the bridge to get that, mine buzzed a bit too. But actually that's pretty much normal for electrics and it's usually only noticable when it's unplugged.

I just enjoy playing it and that's all that matters. :thumbup:

Shodai

Blues Junior
Nice additions to the family.

The JP is a great guitar. I was looking at those, for much the same reasons - just to add a jazz box to the collection - and almost bought one but the Ibanez AG-75 kind of just fell into my lap.

Enjoy them. With all this extra time you have on your hands, you should be able to give them a real workout!

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Nice additions to the family.

The JP is a great guitar. I was looking at those, for much the same reasons - just to add a jazz box to the collection - and almost bought one but the Ibanez AG-75 kind of just fell into my lap.

Enjoy them. With all this extra time you have on your hands, you should be able to give them a real workout!

What extra time?!

I work at Lowe's and we're considered an "essential business" so nothing's changed.

Lowe's policy seems to be, "come in and feel free to infect everyone who works here so that you can get what you need for your fun projects while YOU sit home."

Essential my ass!