Newbie Question

DonAtkinson

Blues Newbie
When I play on string one, first position, my guitar sounds dead. Second position sounds ok, open sounds ok. I’ve tried playing it in different areas ( close to the fret, away from the fret), makes no difference. This is the only position I’ve noticed this and it’s really frustrating. What I’m wondering is if it’s something I’m doing wrong or should I get the guitar looked at?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
New guitar? If you lay a straight edge across the frets in that area does anything seem like it's sticking up more than the ones around it?

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
You might need a truss rod adjustment. It's not hard to do a setup once you get over the fear of breaking something. There are plenty of videos on how to do it, or take it to a tech for a setup.

DonAtkinson

Blues Newbie
New guitar? If you lay a straight edge across the frets in that area does anything seem like it's sticking up more than the ones around it?
I’ll take a look. Did a visual and did’t see anything obvious, but didn’t use a straight edge. I’ll try that and see if it shows me anything.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
When you say the guitar sounds dead, are you meaning that it just sounds dull and lifeless? If that's the case, I'd change the string like was first mentioned. That'll usually fix that. Or are you meaning that it sounds buzzy like it's hitting a fret or vibrating in the nut? If that's the case, then it could be any number of things. Also, do any of the other strings do the same thing?

DonAtkinson

Blues Newbie
When you say the guitar sounds dead, are you meaning that it just sounds dull and lifeless? If that's the case, I'd change the string like was first mentioned. That'll usually fix that. Or are you meaning that it sounds buzzy like it's hitting a fret or vibrating in the nut? If that's the case, then it could be any number of things. Also, do any of the other strings do the same thing?
It sounds muted and dead, not buzzing. Am not noticing this anywhere else. Just this one string on this fret.

DonAtkinson

Blues Newbie
Thanks for all the replies so far. From what I’m reading, so far, it sounds like it has more to do with something going on with the guitar than something I am doing.

I’ll keep exploring options, but might have to take it in and have it looked at...

david moon

Attempting the Blues
If you're playing amplified you might not hear a buzz. Try it unamplified.

If it's a high fret that can be corrected. Or a little more neck relief or a slight raising of the action might fix it.

davidc252

Blues Newbie
Thanks for all the replies so far. From what I’m reading, so far, it sounds like it has more to do with something going on with the guitar than something I am doing.

I’ll keep exploring options, but might have to take it in and have it looked at...

It could be a warped neck or it might just need an adjustment. I would take it to a guitar tech to have it looked at. Take it to any guitar store with guitar techs, such as Guitar Center and they should be able to diagnose the problem for free. It probably needs a setup.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
It sounds muted and dead, not buzzing. Am not noticing this anywhere else. Just this one string on this fret.
This is so odd. Nothing logical makes much sense. About the only thing I can think of that could cause that seems impossible. That would be a soft spot in that particular piece of fret wire right under that string. it has to be something that has the effect of muting the string.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
This is so odd. Nothing logical makes much sense.

Could be a slightly high spot on the next fret up. maybe that string is just a tad lower than the others each side of it so it is just touching the second fret when fretted at the first but the others arn't. I'm still going with try a new string. Cures most "odd" behaviour in my experience.

cheers

Al.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I was mostly fishing for more details but the initial rough guess I had was the treble end of the second fret being a tad high. Either a fret dress or a tweak of the neck relief, but the real answer I'd give is let a qualified tech decide. :Beer: