New Years resolutions

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
In 2019 my goal was to learn 75 songs, and I mostly did, and forgot 98% of them other than the main riff.............so really a fail

2020- My goal was to work on connecting boxes, which I did, and only half failed. Basically, I had two dice, and whatever I landed on were the two boxes I had to play straight across, upside down, backwards. served its purpose, but, other than playing scales well, ehhhhhhh

2021- My only goal was to play 4 hours a week minimum, my schedule was horrendous with work, and I made that, but, other than keeping loose, served no purpose.

So, this year, I read @Griff commen on planning, then thought about friends with all their grandiose plans. Then settled on a few goals, that, will make me happy

1) First 90 days of they year - run my scales and all 3 of my versions of the spider exercise every day. The goal is to get more comfortable without looking as much. I am fairly okay with it, but, I want to be at the point I can do it in the dark. Reason is, I always struggled with the scales and remembering the boxes. The PTSM was the first one I bonded with to learn them

2) I found 10 songs I wrote in high school - As you can imagine, they are atrocious, what the heck was I thinking ? Is it normal to have like 12 verses (Only for the Edmund Fitzgerald). Now that I have a better understanding of music and structure, I want to keep the basic ideas and lyrics and turn them into something musical, about 1 a month. I mean more than 1 guitar part, even if its only a 6 string acoustic and a 12 string

And yes, there are only two real subjects in them,................my Chevy Nova and how big could my hair be, so they may need some tweaking. The goal is to not only play and write, but, work on adding a "correct" solo from start to finish in it, which I think in turn will help with my improvising.

3) I would like to take singing lessons, but honestly, with work, not sure I will have time.

Thats it, no big grand plan, just some achieveable goals that will add to my enjoyment of the instrument. Naturally while doing this I would continue with the lessons and videos, and righteously steal from them for inspiration

Jack

Blues Junior
I love the idea about reworking and finishing the songs you wrote in high school - that sounds like a great project.

Me, well last year I got 9 cover songs recorded (I can't remember if that's what I set out to do on January 1, but that's what I did). So that was a good year for me :) Working on lifelong favorites seems to keep me motivated, so I'll continue with that this year. Griff is teaching us "The Wind Cries Mary" in the All Access Pass sessions, so that's what I'm working on now.

My other goal this year is to increase my speed, I've always sucked at the fast pick-every-note type stuff. I'm doing a bunch of exercises to try and improve that. There's a song called "Miraculum" by Lincoln Brewster that has some extremely fast parts in it, and right now I can play them (poorly) at two-thirds speed. It's a Christmas song, so my goal is to get it up to speed and record it by December 25th. So...we'll see how that goes.

Elwood

Blues
Boy I remember my muscle car days!
My friend had a nova 327 and it was tricked out.
I had my Ugly Duck. A ranchero in 4 colors of primer. 289 high-pep out of a mustang with a hurst 4 speed. Seems like every payday I bought one tire, couldn't afford two. I had to remember which way to turn when I would burn so I wouldn't do in the threadbare tire. and it would burn! Loud, fast and ugly, yeah man!!!

Last edited:

Rick23

Blues Junior
I had my Ugly Duck. A ranchero in 4 colors of primer. 289 high-pep out of a mustang with a hurst 4 speed. Seems like every payday I bought one tire, couldn't afford two. I had to remember which way to turn when I would burn so I wouldn't do in the threadbare tire. and it would burn! Loud, fast and ugly, yeah man!!!
Had a 69 Dart 340-4 speed - 390 Posi. Pass everything on the road except a gas station. Those were the days!

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
I'm a bit loose in my planning and scheduling, usually I just noodle around. However this year I really want to nail down my rhythm parts so I can jump in on a local jam.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Finish learning the solo from Hotel California. I learned the first half last year when we went through it in the AAP sessions. Hopefully have it done by the end of this month. Once I get it learned, I'll figure out what the next thing is. Maybe Bold As Love. That one's been sitting out there taunting me for a while now. It's time I made an effort to actually learn it.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My goal for 2022 is to find some locals to make music with, I actually got up and did a couple tunes at an open mic that fell through, the couple hosting it didn't show so a couple guys who had planned to play just were doing it acoustic unplugged and one had a guitar I really wanted to try so I did a couple of tunes I can almost sing , but my goal was to get my playing out there to hook up with some of these folks, it went well enough I guess, the owner of the brewery said a couple of folks hope I come back and they were pissed they weren't there to hear it, I assured them they were lucky!

Last edited: