New Tubes

straightblues

Blues Junior
One other thought, the 12at7 will lower the gain of the amp. Most people put a higher gain preamp when they want to lower the volume of the amp so it breaks up earlier. When I am trying to get max clean overall volume, I lower the 1st gain stage to a lower value tube.

Here is an article on preamp tube gain. https://www.thetubestore.com/gain-factor

Finally, I have found over the years amps like to be what they are. You can try to force them to be something else, but they usually don't cooperate very well. Meaning you can swap tubes, and speakers and such, but they still are what they are. Either you like the base tone or you don't. I have been able to really change the voice of guitars with different parts and pickups, but not so much with amps.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I don’t recommend putting in the wrong tube, or the wrong number of tubes either. Just because somebody says it’s ok to do, they do it all the time, does not mean it is.

I see a huge difference between various amps and speakers and pickups, and yes I am sorry to say it, but tonewoods. There I said it, I just couldn’t hide it any longer.

If you like the amp great. If you don’t, sell it and buy one you do like. There are many many great sounding amps available from 1w to 100’s of watts. Not to mention the amp simulator, which can sound like a lot of amps.