New open mic opportunities opening up for me

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
With just 18 weeks left until retirement, I switched to part time at my current job. That means I only work Mon-Thu and no more 9 hour days. It also means that, since I now have every Friday off, I can explore the Thursday night open mic scene. Thus far I've found two very promising venues and have done one event at each (second one was last night). These are really fun, relaxed venues where it's run more like a jam, and there are house band members (lead guitar, bass, and drums) available to hop up on stage with you and chime in.

I'm still working out how best to leverage this, but last night I did have the house bassist, who also sings, join me for my rendition of "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" and it went quite well.

As I transition out of having to work, I'm really excited for the freedom to get out there and mix more with the local music scene. :Beer:

DaveFromVA

In the basement.
Awesome! Sounds like a great time! I’ve found a number of open mics here as well where I live. It’s just me solo, but still very enjoyable (although nerve-wracking sometimes). Best of luck in retirement, I’ll be there soon!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
With just 18 weeks left until retirement, I switched to part time at my current job. That means I only work Mon-Thu and no more 9 hour days. It also means that, since I now have every Friday off, I can explore the Thursday night open mic scene. Thus far I've found two very promising venues and have done one event at each (second one was last night). These are really fun, relaxed venues where it's run more like a jam, and there are house band members (lead guitar, bass, and drums) available to hop up on stage with you and chime in.

I'm still working out how best to leverage this, but last night I did have the house bassist, who also sings, join me for my rendition of "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" and it went quite well.

As I transition out of having to work, I'm really excited for the freedom to get out there and mix more with the local music scene. :Beer:
18 weeks?:oops: ....Cool!
When I retired, it took me about a year to wind down from the corporate madness.
Now, it seams I'm more busy than I've ever been.

Sounds like you've got a few things cook'n(y)

Last edited:

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Good on the part time gig. Congrats on the upcoming retirement. If you run out of honey dos, you have the open mic scene to occupy some of the spare time you will have on your hands. For me, it was a major sigh of relief the day I told all my co-workers not to call and ask questions. I told them "I just erased my memory" so I won't be able to assist with difficult scenarios. HaHa!

Best to you brother.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues

Retirement??? What is this retirement you speak of...I'm 65 and own an architecture/engineering firm...I don't see myself retiring for a while...

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
ummmm whats retirement ?

While we are at it, whats a vacation ?

Actually, whats a day off ?