New "jam"

EJG

Central NJ
I've been going to a local Blues jam pretty regularly for the last few years. Everyone there is supportive and friendly, but it's clear how outclassed I am. The other guys who go are mostly guys who have been gigging their whole life, and a few are Blues Hall of Fame members. I have fun, but only occasionally do I feel like I have a good set. However, I have learned a lot.

For the last few months, I've also been going to an Open Mic on a weekly basis. The talent level is much more varied there. There's a few guys who are real pros and a few on or possibly even below my talent level (if it's possible to be below). Anyway, the last two times I played there have been maybe the best two sets I've ever had (it helps that in both cases I had a real good drummer and bass player). I think it's because I don't feel so intimidated. Most of the guys there play classic rock, but I stick to blues and it works well. After my set this week, the host got up and said I did the best version of The Thrill is Gone that he's heard in many years. I'm sure that wasn't exactly true, but it was nice for him to say.

Not sure why I'm posting this... I guess hope it helps guys who go to jams with real pros and wonder if they fit. Keep looking... there's a place out there for you somewhere.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Sounds like it has all worked out well and you've had opportunities to jam with some outstanding players... and get to watch them up close! Unfortunately for me, NJ is too long of a drive! ;-)

Reactions: EJG

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
That's really cool to hear Ed.
It's a great example of sticking with it, even when you don't feel like you "belong" there.
I know that playing in both places will up your game.

FrankL

Mr. Bites Off More Than I Can Chew
Great testimony Ed! It's easy to question whether or not you belong at a jam for precisely the reason you stated. There are players that can just melt the room with there expertise (see Griff Hamlin) and if you have to follow them up on the stage it can be quite intimidating (see me). But the most important thing I've learned is that, to your ear, if you are making music then what does it matter. Dude guitar player is good, so what. So are you. Just different. You have something to say with your music as he does. He's just more experienced. The mantra I play by is I'm not going to kill anyone and no one is going to die. It's music! So let your hair down and take the stage like it's yours. (note: my wife calls it showing off! Bless her heart).
(caveat: it also helps if you feel comfortable) but stepping outside the comfort zone can be a great experience as well.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
This is great stuff, thanks for sharing it! I have yet to go to a jam but have been doing weekly open mics for a couple of months now and for me that's been a great environment to gain confidence and experience without being judged for my n00bness and lack of skill. One day I plan to make a jam or two and see how that goes. :Beer:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Good for you Ed. The best part I always felt about playing with others above your abilities, be it sports or music, it forces you to up your game. It can be intimidating cause you may feel you stand out on the low end, but when you go back and play with your piers, they are surprised at the new level you have attained.

Meanwhile, you may have not even noticed the change, as your eyes are focused on moving up to the next level.

Keep it up bud, good stuff.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
The m.o. of the typical BGU'er is that they came to this late in the game, so they are playing with guys who have been at this for 30 years or more. I have found them to be very supportive, as they like to comment on the progress they see jam to jam. They can also be brutally honest at times. You have to have a thick skin starting out, no doubt. I have found that I'm no longer the bottom feeder at the jams I attend, which wasn't always the case.
EJG can play, so he has nothing to worry about. He's posted videos in the past so we know that's the case. :whistle::Beer:

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Thanks for posting Ed. It's inspiring to see our BGU comrades making things happen.

EJG

Central NJ
Thanks everyone... but those of you who have heard or seen me play must have me confused with someone else!

On another matter, I usually sing during my sets. I *think* I'm on-key, and have never gotten any negative feedback on my singing. However, I watched a FB Live feed of a "Festival" where many of the performers at the Open Mic I go to sang and played. Nearly all the singers were way off-key. And yet people were complimenting them. Makes me wonder if my singing is as bad as my guitar playing, and people are just being nice... ;)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks everyone... but those of you who have heard or seen me play must have me confused with someone else!

On another matter, I usually sing during my sets. I *think* I'm on-key, and have never gotten any negative feedback on my singing. However, I watched a FB Live feed of a "Festival" where many of the performers at the Open Mic I go to sang and played. Nearly all the singers were way off-key. And yet people were complimenting them. Makes me wonder if my singing is as bad as my guitar playing, and people are just being nice... ;)

And that is exactly why I seldom record my performances. Depression is a terrible thing.

Marsh

Are those real valves in your amp?
Sounds to me like you're doing quite well. I have been going to the blues jam near my house since I decided to start playing the guitar about a year now to watch. Most of the musicians that show up are friends or acquaintances of the professionals that host the jam. Well a few weeks ago I told the host I'd like to try sitting in on a basic blues number. The reason for that is because they often branch off into cover rock-n-roll territory and I know very few actual songs myself. Well the host promised to have me play along side him on guitar. Later he must have realized that time was about up for the jam so he had me play with the group already playing. All of them kind of locally revered professionals. I was a bundle of nerves, or should I say petrified. Amazingly, I could've done worse. Did well on rhythm, but couldn't settle the nerves on solos. A week later I returned for more exposure to terror. This time they endured three blues numbers with the shakey amateur. I was not expecting the stage fright thing, but they have been very encouraging. I have found the experience vastly different from playing in a group that practices and does gigs like I did way back when. Anyway I will give it some more tries. Maybe I will begin to feel more comfortable soon so I can play more like I do at home. I appreciate your courage and efforts.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Sounds to me like you're doing quite well. I have been going to the blues jam near my house since I decided to start playing the guitar about a year now to watch. Most of the musicians that show up are friends or acquaintances of the professionals that host the jam. Well a few weeks ago I told the host I'd like to try sitting in on a basic blues number. The reason for that is because they often branch off into cover rock-n-roll territory and I know very few actual songs myself. Well the host promised to have me play along side him on guitar. Later he must have realized that time was about up for the jam so he had me play with the group already playing. All of them kind of locally revered professionals. I was a bundle of nerves, or should I say petrified. Amazingly, I could've done worse. Did well on rhythm, but couldn't settle the nerves on solos. A week later I returned for more exposure to terror. This time they endured three blues numbers with the shakey amateur. I was not expecting the stage fright thing, but they have been very encouraging. I have found the experience vastly different from playing in a group that practices and does gigs like I did way back when. Anyway I will give it some more tries. Maybe I will begin to feel more comfortable soon so I can play more like I do at home. I appreciate your courage and efforts.
These guys sound like true musicians, maybe playing a little down to your level to help lift you up and make some music, I can't stand to play with people that just want to make it about them and showboat what they can play.

Marsh

Are those real valves in your amp?
These guys sound like true musicians, maybe playing a little down to your level to help lift you up and make some music, I can't stand to play with people that just want to make it about them and showboat what they can play.
You have right for sure. If they weren't I wouldn't be going back for more.