New Dropbox account.

patb

Blues Junior
I'm following Papa's tutorial for a new account. Is there any downside to not downloading the Dropbox app? Upside?
I try to avoid unnecessary crap cluttering up my computer but then I'm not too tech savvy.
Thanks,
Pat B

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
If your main use for Dropbox is to share music or video recordings with the forum, you don't need the app. The app is useful if you are actively using Dropbox for cloud storage, but if you're just uploading a file once in a while the browser interface is enough.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I had the app on my computer for a while, but about a year ago I got a new computer and didn't install the app. I don't miss it.

patb

Blues Junior
Thanks for the tutorial and your reply Papa. Got the Dropbox acct open. Now to record my butchery of Lick #7 and get it into the forum for Griff.
5 year old Android phone sounds a little tinny.
Pat

patb

Blues Junior
OK, got the lick recorded on the phone and moved to the computer. When I try to upload the file to Dropbox ( 35 seconds long) it shows progress then 2 minutes left and stays there.

patb

Blues Junior
Dropbox apparently uploaded the file (73.55 MB) , then shows an "error during the upload.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Does the file show up in your dropbox account? If so, can you play it?
What format is it? 73 megabytes seems rather large. A 3 minute MP3 (@256Kbps encoding) should only be about 4.5 megs.

patb

Blues Junior
It is video done on my android phone then copied to my computer. The file shows up in dropbox but says "Error during upload" . I cannot play it.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I was thinking about installing Dropbox on your computer in my reply above. If you're recording on your phone and you have access to wi-fi (or fast, unlimited data) the Dropbox phone app might be more useful. You could save the step of transferring it to your computer and upload directly from phone to Dropbox.

Last edited: