New Course Online - How To Read Music On Guitar

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
In case you missed the email about it today, my newest course - How To Read Music On Guitar - is now available in the member portal for AAP members.

This won't be available widely for a few more days, but the digital version is done so I wanted to let you jump in and get started with it.

I hope you get a chance to check it out and let me know how you like it.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I can't say that I learned anything that I didn't know, but If someone has never read music before, this is the most concise & understandable discussion you will ever find on the subject. Great job @Griff

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
This took me back to 1964 when I first learned the natural notes in open position and played those "simple" quarter note exercises. :)

(Not sure if it was Mel Bay or Ed Sales.)

Jump ahead to 2013 when I first "met" Griff and bought "Guitar Theory Made Useful (And Easy)".

Then to last December when I finally got around to going through "Strumming & Rhythm Mastery" and the Rhythm lessons in "Acoustic Blue Guitar Unleashed" and "Classic Rock Unleashed".

Add to that recent AAP Live Sessions on counting Solos from BGU.

(Yes, I finally decided to start counting.)

This "introductory" course combines it all in one package.

With one big difference.

There ain't no tab.

You actually have to learn to read standard notation.

I especially liked Part 9 where you read examples in E Major (4#s) and Part 11 where you read Bends, Slides & Grace notes. Both of these were pretty much new experiences.

As @MikeS says, I didn't learn any new concepts, but it was interesting forcing myself to read everything without tab.

I seem to recall Griff saying in the past that he'd like to do an introductory courses like this with all the basic stuff in one course. This will be great for beginners.

As well as more "advanced" players who finally want to get some practice reading standard notation.

So, "Tab Hunters" beware. You won't find any.:cool:

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Thanks, guys, glad to hear that it makes sense to you.

I'm hoping someone with little to no music reading experience will give it a go and let me know how it goes for them. I've used some of these exercises with private students, but I tend to mix in reading with a lot of other things (the spoonful of sugar approach) so I've never done it all in one big chunk like this.

Griff

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I'm aap member and yes I knew about it when he announced it but I still like getting the introductory videos about new courses
I realize you are an AAP member and if you got the email when he announced the course I think it would be understandable that he didn't send us another announcement when it was officially launched.

If you want to see the introductory video it's available in the Course Catalog.

I'm gonna assume he did send out a link to the intro as a promo for non-AAP members.

There would be no reason to send AAP members a second email with a link to the intro, since he already "gave" us the entire course in advance.

So, no, you didn't miss something.

The video contains excerpts from each lesson. We already have all the complete lessons.

Last edited: