new baby

Elwood

Blues
Baby Taylor that is. I saw in another thread in here that Griff said he had thought about a parlor size. This is my new GS Mini Koa. I sent my Martin Backpacker off to one of my sons and got this as a replacement/upgrade.

It looks amazing in person. They come with .13s Elixers. Those strings lasted about 6 hours and then I strung some Daddario .12s. No adjustments needed, all 20 frets on all strings sound clear and strong. Plays like a dream, both fingerpicking and flat picking. To me ear it sounded a bit bassey with the rubber coated cables it came with (my preference folks, no offense to elixer fans). The 12s even out the response and it still has a nice bass thump if you wish to invoke it. Someday I'll sort out my recording setup and see how we do in there.

My Martin dread sounds great, but I just don't play as well on that guitar. The 314ce is awesome, so I really didn't need this, however... I believe I will be well served by a small, light guitar for a few months. This is for those days when a tele is too heavy and a GA Taylor or Martin dread will be just too big. And i'm sure a bunch of other days too. Right now I grab this unless I'm doing homework. I also don't notice any "finger confusion" going between the scale lengths, major bonus!

This one is awesome. Fun to play! The shorter scale makes getting some passing bass or melody tones in a chord easier to get and sound clearly. I can get back and down in the recliner and still play. It is very light and seems tough as nails. As a bonus it comes with a very nice padded soft case.

The koa has a hog type sound but I do believe it carries more highs without sounding harsh.
I was fortunate enough to be able to compare this with another koa and a walnut in the store, this is the one that followed me home.

They ship these with a black plastic truss cover,u-g-l-y! I have a rosewood one on the way from Taylor (9 bucks plus s&t). I told 'em what I thought of this one hoping they would send me one as an esthetic good will gesture, keep hoping.

Oh yeah, the onboard tuner is pretty sparse on info. I found that if I tune it for "solid green" open and at the 12th the intonation sounds very good to my ear. Stays in tune too.

So just like a new proud daddy, there I go gushing over the new baby.

Felt like sharing :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Steve
man that pic came out big

p.jpeg