need to now before I start the course

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I see that there is some corrections by other members. Are these crucial or just fine points? Or have they been corrected in the manual? :)

MuddyFox

Blues Newbie
I've been through three out of five solos and I can't say I've had any problems with it whatsoever. There was this one suspect moment on one note someplace where what I heard Griff play wasn't exactly what I hear me play when I play tab but I didn't even look into it, just went with what sounds right to me.  ::)

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Larry, I've been through all 5 solos. I vaguely remember something askew but it was so irrelevant that I don't even remember what it was.....or even if it was in this course!

All I remember was it was a lot of fun to learn with a lot of great licks for the library!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I've done 4 of the solos and definately didn't run into any showstoppers. My suggestion is to dive in and have fun with them.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've been through all 5 (and totally had a blast with them!) and remember somebody mentioned that there was a note in one of the solos where the book didn't quite match what Griff played, but I can't think of what it was or where.  I also know that there were a couple of times that I ended up playing a note or two differently than what Griff mentioned...throwing in a major sound instead of a minor sound (regular 3rd rather than flatted) just because I liked the way it sounded better.

That to say that whatever corrections there may have been were minor.  So get started have fun with them!

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Been away for awhile, but if lucky is asking if he should start the course or wait for corrections, I would definitely say start! This is a GREAT little course!
I think it is (amazingly) 99.9998% "accurate" as far as matching Griff's solos to the tab, to the audio, to the video!
Like Snarf said, goferitnhavfun!

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Thanks all. You confirmed my suspicions. As for waiting to start the course, that won't happen. I just wanted to see if I should mark up my shiny new manual with corrections or just go with what is there. So to all my Blues Soloing buddies have a dog beer on me.  [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Play what you hear, regardless of the notes on the page.  When in doubt, your ear wins. There may be a typo or two, but there is no denying that what Griff plays on the recordings is great.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Play what you hear, regardless of the notes on the page.  When in doubt, your ear wins.
Mike nails it!!  Developing your ear is an indispensable skill.

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
I would also add that this course is a huge boost in your ego... I've just completed BGU, gotten some of the solos well, others became frustrating... Not giving up by any means, but the 5 Easy Solos really are pretty easy, sound great, and will convince you that you really can play guitar; I highly recommend this course!

Mikek69

Blues Newbie
I struggled to match up the counts to the tab until I looked at the music above and realised that the tab needs to be read in conjunction with that. For instance the tab appears to say 2 eighth counts whereas the music holds it for longer. Hope that helps.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
IMHO Griff's tabs are among the most accurate I have seen compared to many others.  Good luck with the course.

ArtDonn84

JAM FOR THE LAMB
Play what you hear, regardless of the notes on the page.  When in doubt, your ear wins. There may be a typo or two, but there is no denying that what Griff plays on the recordings is great.[/quote

I think this is the most straight forward and sound advice.  The ear will always tell you if you are on or off the right know.  After all isn't that how we find the key a song is being played in.  Also to quote Griff, have fun even if you hit the wrong note or add to what he has given without own. 

ArtDonn84

JAM FOR THE LAMB
Good afternoon.  While practicing over the 5 Easy Blues Solo #4, I found I believe what you are asking about.  On measure 6. as played along, I heard what I thought was an EXTRA hit.  I rewound six times and watched as Griff hits the "D"note (2nd  string / 15th fret) then the "B"note (2nd string / 12th fret), AND THEN AGAIN it sounds like he goes back to the "D"note before finishing off (around 8:50 to 8:51 on the DVD) with the "B"note with the slide off.  But it may be that what I hear is just his smooth finger work moving faster that I visual see.  But if you do hit the extra "D" note, it still sounds good and similar.  Even if I am wrong, give it a try for fun and improv.  Remember its all about having fun and not making it too serious or a burden otherwise you may find it not fun and stop wanting to learn.  Hopefully Griff will weigh in on this himself so we know for certain.