Need some advice

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
OK here's my problem----I am using a ZOOM R-24...I THINK most of the recorders have pretty much the same features??// So what I did was record a song 3 times on the same track ---the second take I felt was the best so I bounced that to my MASTER TRACK but when I did, it left 4:59 seconds of dead air. Is there a way to delete the 1st 4:59 without deleting the whole 9 yards.
I printed off what the manual said and tried it several times---- but I must be doing something wrong---( hmmm:)like trying to record a stupid song :)) later----Maybe I need to go back to my trusty cassette recorder:thumbdown: Later

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I do not have a ZOOM, have never had or used one but... I did have a thought about this.It may be an oversimplification and obvious but here goes....

Did you start the 2nd track at the point where the 1st track was completed... that my be why there is the dead air in there... just a thought, trying to be helpful!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My first curiosity would be why you recorded all three takes on the same track? Isn't that a multi-track recorder?

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
jest me; that's exactly what I did.
papa bear;-yes it is a multi-track--when I record I do the vocals and guitar at the same time on sepprate tracks- do the song 2-3 times then pick the best one then go from there (that's on my cassette recorder). This time I did it on the ZOOM thinking all I had to do was rewind to the starting point of the one I liked, but it don't work that way---I am sure there is a way to delete the 1st take, then when I download it to a thumb drive I wouldn't have 4:59 dead space. To rerecord several times I would have to start a new project for each take which is kind of a hassell but that might be the way I have to go?????don't know. I am new at this. Later P.S. the manual has 140 pages---(WHAT:eek::eek::eek:) P.S.-P.S. this song has 22 verses in it , it's pretty hard to remember all of them without screwing up one. That's why I am trying to save the one I did the best on, I am tired of playing it (and it sucks). but OH-WELL what you hear is what you get even if I have to record it onto my cassette player then feed it back into the Zoom.

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I don't have any experience with audacity...but it does sound like it would work. By all rights I think there would be away to do it on the R-24 it is pretty complex piece of equipment. It does have "TRIM PROJECT" to get rid of things you don't want on it. I have tried it 3 times and can't get any results the book tells you to push a soft key but it don't tell you which one. I know Griff said he records his stuff through a Zoom R-16 which is pretty much the same just 8 tracks less. So maybe he will read this and give me a clue. Later Thanks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I was going to suggest the Audacity route.
Load the guitar track in one track, highlight then delete the unwanted parts, then load the vocals into another track.
Depending on how accurately you selected the areas to delete, you may or may not have to adjust where your guitar track starts.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I was going to suggest the Audacity route.
Load the guitar track in one track, highlight then delete the unwanted parts, then load the vocals into another track.
Depending on how accurately you selected the areas to delete, you may or may not have to adjust where your guitar track starts.
Is it possible to just load the master track and delete the 1st 5 minutes of all 3 tracks---Vocal-guitar-and bass or would I have to go back and erase each track seperate?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That's why I gave up on that type of recorder.
As much as I hate computers, I want that route and I'm happy I did.

Check your messages

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Is it possible to just load the master track and delete the 1st 5 minutes of all 3 tracks---Vocal-guitar-and bass or would I have to go back and erase each track seperate?
Yes. You can either load separate tracks and highlight & delete the first 5 min (Shift key if I remember correctly) or if you already have them mixed down to a single file you can just highlight the part that you don't want and press delete (easier way)