Need help choosing an amp!

KareyReese

Blues Newbie
I have a Brent Mason Tele. Looking for an amp that would go well with the Tele. This will be used at home. Should I go with a tube or no tube amp? What Brand, Marshal, Fender etc. How many watts? I currently have a Mustang lll which I use on my strat. Also would like the amp to go with my top 10 PRS 594. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Well you already have a solid state amp, why not try a tube amp? What is your budget? BTW, this is the forever unresolved debate on the forum. Tubes or solid state........?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I currently have a Mustang lll
Your question is almost as broad as asking what kind of car you should get. So many variables. Is there a particular sound you want...any famous players you'd like to try to sound like? Do you want/need built-in effects of any sort? Is there a budget you want to stay under? Are you just planning on being a bedroom player? Those questions (and more) would help with getting some meaningful suggestions. Otherwise you'll end up getting answers that range from "you need an F-150" to "you need a classic Trans Am." Both are valid rides, but serve very different purposes.

If it were me, you've already got the Mustang III, so use it for now. Play with the amp models in that, and see if there are any that stand out to you. IMHO, any good amp from any major brand is going to sound good with your guitars, but you might prefer the sound of the Vox over the Marshall. Or you might realize you like the sound of the Fender cleans best, and just add pedals. Or you might go the way that RR is probably going to suggest, and get yourself a Quilter. All of those are great amps. And, once you decide on a direction, if you never plan on playing out, you don't need a bunch of power that you'll never use, so you can get something like an AC4 or AC10 instead of that AC30 with the 4x12 cab under it because even a low watt amp will rattle the walls of the typical suburban home.

All that said, if it were me and I were looking for a new amp, I'd be eyeing one of those new Fender Vibro Champs. That's the amp that does it for me at the moment.

Mickey Duane

Used To Be A Rock Star
Well

I am a Marshall guy so go with a 100 watt with a 4x12 and crank it up to get that rock star feel! :)

Just sayin

Peace

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Hold on a sec while I start some popcorn. This is usually a most entertaining topic.
I'm a tube guy and that's just a personal preference. My suggestion is to become a master of your Mustang. It mimics the sound of many various tube amps (that's what most tubeless amps do, mimic tube amps). You can probably get a pretty good idea of what sounds you like that way.
Seriously, spend some time with your Mustang. Learn everything there is to know about it. Different settings for different guitars, single coils, humbuckers like your PRS etc.
As I said, you should get a pretty good idea of what kind of sound you're going for that way.
Best of luck Karey and prepare yourself for an onslaught of ideas. This is a very enabling group and yours is a very provocative query.
Somehow, I think you knew that before you asked,,..;)

artyman

Fareham UK
Your Mustang isn't going to sound wildly different using either your Strat or Tele, it has a load of voices in there, plenty of options wit Fender Fuse, assuming you already have that, Fender discontinued it with the launch of the Mustang GTX, but software is still available online in places. I also have a Katana 50 which is another configurable amp using the Boss Tone Studio, I bought it for it's lighter weight. What and where do you play may determine what you need.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Oh, boy ... what color horse? QUILTER CUB!

But your Mustang III is perfectly capable for all of your guitars. You don't need a new amp! With your Mustang III, there isn't anything a new amp of any kind can give you that a good pedal board won't.

And ... my Quilter MicroPro with its programmable two-button floor switch, you can switch between the clean channel and the "dirty" channel and activate the boost on either of them ... giving you essentially a 4-channel amp. The boost on the clean channel is not the same as the boost on the "dirty" channel ... the boost increases the "dirt" on the dirty channel ... the boost is the same but what it is boosting isn't. And on top of that you have six global voicings ... for six 4-channel amps.

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Playing the amp mostly at home is a major factor. Virtually all tube amps need to be pretty loud to sound great. Without more gear, attenuators or power soaks, you need tolerant housemates and neighbors to get the most out of tube amps. I just swapped a fender twin for a quilter ss amp and get way more use out of it than I did the twin. Sounds fine at low volume, and if I need to take it somewhere its very light but still has the power to hang with a band.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think I have to agree with @Rancid Rumpboogie on this one. The point of a modeling amp is to simulate lots of different amp voicings. The Mustang covers so much ground with its modeling that you should be able to make pretty much any guitar sound good. I play my strat, tele, and various single coil and humbucker combinations through the same amps and just tweak settings to taste.

straightblues

Blues Junior
Okay, you have a $2,700 tele and a $4,500 PRS and who knows what Strat you have. And you are playing all those great guitars through a $200 solid state amp???? Man you need to update your amp game desperately! Typically most folks spend about the same for an amp as they do for a guitar.

For me, it is blackface or tweed fender. For home use, something small is preferred.

Blackface look at Fender Champ, or Fender Princeton. Black Face amps were made from 1964 to 1968. Lots of companies make high quality amps based on these two circuits. You can spend anywhere from $250 to $3,000.

For Tweed, I would look at a Champ, Princeton, Harvard or a 5E3 Deluxe. Tweed era amps were made before 1962. Again, there are vintage examples of both all these plus lots of other folks are making high quality circuits of both.

I would suggest you get on youtube and listen to clips of each of the above amps. Narrow it down to which one you want to try and then we can direct you to companies making those amps.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I think a Fender Twin Reverb is about the best sounding Fender amp. It's big and heavy, but if it sits at home, so what. There is a magic when you pair a nice Fender guitar with a nice Fender amp.

If you want gain and distortion, even a little you will need to add pedals to do that.

But if you want luscious Fender clean, with a touch of Reverb, that would be worthy of you Tele.

The Deluxe Reverb is just about as nice, and almost as heavy. But there is something that a 2x12 setup adds to the sound.

I like the Hot Rod series too, especially if you want to add a little distortion from the amp without adding pedals, but still have the Fender clean sound too, when you want it.

Never liked Mustangs nor Blues Jr.

But it's your ears and the stuff between them that you need to please.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Before I offer up an opinion on amps, I'll suggest a more analytical approach.

"Sounding good" is completely subjective but, taking a features & benefits approach is more likely to get you a higher degree of satisfaction with your purchase.

I suggest asking yourself a series of questions that might help you decide what will suite your needs.

-"Playing at home" typically suggests volume restrictions, is that the case for you?
If yes, selecting a tube amp would not be the best choice because they don't dial down to bedroom volumes well.

-Are you lusting for a tube amp to go along with your top notch guitars?
If yes, adding an attenuator for "home" use would be a way to manage volume while maintaining some tube tone.

-Do you want to record your guitar/amp ?
If yes, you'll need assorted recording gear but having a line out is a nice feature. Most solid state amps give you that most tube amps don't but, many attenuators for tube amps do have line out.

Are you focused on a combo amp or a head & cab set up?
-Head / Speaker cabinet configurations give you more options to select and/or change speakers and also reduce weight (especially for tube amps)

-Will you paly with a band or go to Jams?
If yes, you should consider two elements, weight/portability & Wattage. Although it's very doable to jam with a 20 watt amp, 40watts in a tube amp is considered adequate for bands & jamming. That wattage (or more) should give you enough "clean headroom" to get up to the required volume in any place you play. However, although clean headroom is a good thing, you'd probably want to add some effects pedals to get some crunch at more reasonable volume levels and tube amp combos can be heavy. Solid state amps can pack much higher wattage in lighter packages. Controlling volume is easier with a SS amp.

Are you old school or do you embrace to new technology?
If you're open to new technology, give consideration to something like the Quad Cortex with a powered speaker.

Finally my 2 cents:
Given you already have a very versatile SS amp, I'd suggest:
- A tube amp in a 1 X 12 combo with in a minimum of 20 watts.

Although Fender would be a good choice why not go with something special?
I prefer what some might consider "Boutique" builders.

My #1 amp is play a Victoria Silversonic, #2 is a Goodsell Super 17
I've also had experience with Swart and Rivera and Nace.
I'd would also look at Suhr & Two Rock and why not PRS.

If a SS amp would better meets your needs:
- A Quilter Micro Pro or Cub to suite your needs and budget.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Okay, you have a $2,700 tele and a $4,500 PRS and who knows what Strat you have. And you are playing all those great guitars through a $200 solid state amp???? Man you need to update your amp game desperately! Typically most folks spend about the same for an amp as they do for a guitar.

For me, it is blackface or tweed fender. For home use, something small is preferred.

Blackface look at Fender Champ, or Fender Princeton. Black Face amps were made from 1964 to 1968. Lots of companies make high quality amps based on these two circuits. You can spend anywhere from $250 to $3,000.

For Tweed, I would look at a Champ, Princeton, Harvard or a 5E3 Deluxe. Tweed era amps were made before 1962. Again, there are vintage examples of both all these plus lots of other folks are making high quality circuits of both.

I would suggest you get on youtube and listen to clips of each of the above amps. Narrow it down to which one you want to try and then we can direct you to companies making those amps.
If he's worried about not spending enough on a good amp, He can get a Quilter MicroPro HD 12" combo and matching 12" extension cabinet, have ALL of these bases well-covered, AND be able to do it all at 100W or bedroom quiet. It does Blackface, Tweed, Marshall and several others. It's tweed voicing is to drool over! Its Marshall voicing makes a JCM 800 want its mommy. It has a GREAT reverb! $1,949.00. And the programmable two-button foot switch is $89.00, pushing it to $2,038.00. If you only want the combo and foot switch you're looking at $1,449.00
IMG_0890.JPG

And not have to worry about his weenie-roaster frying its tubes. iyfyus.jpg.gif
Or getting a hernia dragging his heavy tube gizmo to a jam.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with his Mustang III ... it is a GREAT sounding amp, puts out an honest 100W RMS, and sounds as good as any of my expensive "obsolete" tube amps. The only reason I got my Quilter is because I have a distaste for anything with a menu. These days there is nothing magic about tooobs.

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I have a Brent Mason Tele. Looking for an amp that would go well with the Tele. This will be used at home. Should I go with a tube or no tube amp? What Brand, Marshal, Fender etc. How many watts? I currently have a Mustang lll which I use on my strat. Also would like the amp to go with my top 10 PRS 594. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

You want and need a PRS amp i recommend the PRS MT 15 its switchable 7 to 15 watts although it seems like 50!

A steal at 750 ish new it is insanely great!

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I don't agree with tube amps not being able to dial down.

That is true if you want an amp like the Fender Twin to be at extremely high power levels, such that it makes the power amp portion of the amp, and possibly the speaker start to distort. A lot of people like that sound, and resort to putting amps in another room, or inside a box or use an attenuator.

But if you like the amp clean and low distortion, then there is no problem turning down the volume. The things I like about tube amps are there at low volume too. In fact if the amp was driven into heavy distortion it would mask those features.

It really comes down to what the person who is playing likes.

I have a PRS Sonzera 20 and a Sonzera 50. Both are great sounding amps, especially the gain channel.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I don't agree with tube amps not being able to dial down.

That is true if you want an amp like the Fender Twin to be at extremely high power levels, such that it makes the power amp portion of the amp, and possibly the speaker start to distort. A lot of people like that sound, and resort to putting amps in another room, or inside a box or use an attenuator.

But if you like the amp clean and low distortion, then there is no problem turning down the volume. The things I like about tube amps are there at low volume too. In fact if the amp was driven into heavy distortion it would mask those features.

It really comes down to what the person who is playing likes.

I have a PRS Sonzera 20 and a Sonzera 50. Both are great sounding amps, especially the gain channel.

I think it's a matter of determining what " home" or "bedroom" volume is.
I've had several 5 watt tube amps and it was impossible for me to play low enough to avoid getting a volume complaint from the household administrator.
I had to use an attenuator on my 5 watt amps just to keep piece peace in the house.

Last edited: