NAMM 2020

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Don't know. Don't know if it's any good either. It came across my desk, so I just put it out there in case people are interested .

Last edited:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Wow, that's actually damned practical! Would be golden for that odd time I feel like taking an electric semi-hollow to open mic where the backline is just a mixer into a Bose Compact L1 PA unless I schlep an amp along.

I actually don't have any current need for one, but they're giving one away every hour at NAMM so I'll probably win one. :LOL:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I love this time of year, why ?

because so many many many people think if they just get this new amp, or this new guitar, or new mic..........then they just knowwwwwwwwwwww they will totally rock.

So they sell their pristine old shit to guitar center to help pay for the new purchase, and then I walk in and buy at a discount

I Love NAMM

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
A few top guitar players/teachers I ran into today at NAMM:

Matt Schofield

20200116_141439.jpg

Tim Pierce

20200116_145654.jpg

Jeff McErlain and Brett Papa

20200116_144407.jpg

Oh yeah, some guy named Griff Hamlin was there too, but he wouldn't let me take his picture. :LOL:

straightblues

Blues Junior
thats not bad, I have been looking at a unit like this for blues jams

I don't know what that one is like or how it compare to the Helix FX unit. I have one for the Helix FX units and it is really handy. All your effects in 1 box. I bought mine used at $400. I think I got a good deal but there are others out there in the $400 range. I find these units are cool as long as you do not try to do too much with them.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I don't know what that one is like or how it compare to the Helix FX unit. I have one for the Helix FX units and it is really handy. All your effects in 1 box. I bought mine used at $400. I think I got a good deal but there are others out there in the $400 range. I find these units are cool as long as you do not try to do too much with them.
yeah, thats kind of the idea, I have an avid 11 rack I use for most things......I was thinking something like this could be great for jams and casual get togethers

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
The one thing from that roundup that is getting the most buzz is the Neural DSP Quad Cortex. Even the Kemper people are drooling over it.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/nam...red-floor-modeller-is-vulgar-display-of-power

Yeah it has started butt-hurt wars on the Helix Facebook groups. It sounds pretty reactive and I love the twisty foot switches and the drop and drag touchscreen.

I could care less about the processor. To me it's all about the sounds and the I/O. And right now it looks like it will be selling direct, which sucks.

But with any modeler, more so than an amp, until you get it in front of you and play with it you don't know, because the patches are usually colored with delay, reverb and possibly post processing.

Unfortunately that's what I am finding with the Helix floor, and looks like it is going back.

Anyway, this seemed like a decent sound test, Rabib from Anderton's did another that was pretty good but I can't find it now.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Yeah it has started butt-hurt wars on the Helix Facebook groups. It sounds pretty reactive and I love the twisty foot switches and the drop and drag touchscreen.

I noticed I have heard nada about Headrush stuff since the initial splash and when they released the smaller Gigboard. I have one of them but it's languishing in the carrybag for now because I realized I don't have a clue how to use it effectively and I'm better off with a proper knobby amp in front of me for now.

Was the HR unit such a flop that it's not even compared to this new stuff like the Helix is? I figured with 11R tech in it, it had to be on solid ground but maybe not?