Miscellaneous NAD.... No, not an amp

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It's New Accordion Day!
Well, not really, but Chris Hurst (@obsidianskies) gave me this accordion several years ago and it has been in the case since then, because it only had one back strap. I just ordered and received a new set, so I wanted to try it out. I couldn't find new Fuzzy Pink Straps, but I'm working on it.
NAD-straps.jpg

I'm practicing for my new job as a social distancing enforcer.
<Video--> https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/video/SocialDistanceAccordion.mp4

Shodai

Blues Junior
I always think of Polka when I think accordion. But Cajun and Zydeco... I never really thought of those, but I do enjoy them.

So, I guess the long and the short of it is, I actually like accordions... who knew?o_O

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I always think of Polka when I think accordion. But Cajun and Zydeco... I never really thought of those, but I do enjoy them.

So, I guess the long and the short of it is, I actually like accordions... who knew?o_O
If you listen to Neil Young's "Unplugged" album Nils Lofgren does some nice backup with an Accordion on a few tunes "Helpless" is one that comes to mind

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
CJ Chenier, Lynn August and the late Buckwheat Zydeco are my guilty pleasures.

Shodai

Blues Junior
I saw Al Di Meola last year, he had only two other "band" members accompanying him. One was a hand percussionist. The other was playing accordion. Very interesting show.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I saw Al Di Meola last year, he had only two other "band" members accompanying him. One was a hand percussionist. The other was playing accordion. Very interesting show.

I don't know...
I'm trying to picture 'Elegant Gypsy Suite' with an accordian.

I can't. :confused:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
It's New Accordion Day!
Well, not really, but Chris Hurst (@obsidianskies) gave me this accordion several years ago and it has been in the case since then, because it only had one back strap. I just ordered and received a new set, so I wanted to try it out. I couldn't find new Fuzzy Pink Straps, but I'm working on it.
NAD-straps.jpg

I'm practicing for my new job as a social distancing enforcer.
<Video--> https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/video/SocialDistanceAccordion.mp4

Looks effective -- I'm not going anywhere near you with that thing! Although, I have to admit that I do like a good tarantella.

Elio

Student Of The Blues

That's really different than when I saw him a couple years ago. He had the full band and an electric violin player that approached him at the Montrose Jazz Festival.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
My buddy, Jon Kubis, who did the horn arrangement for Louisiana Holiday, used to work with me a lot in various Top 40 bands, and he's done a few blues gigs with us over the years as well. Everytime he plays with us he brings his because he loves to play a solo on it over that tune.

(You can see Jon behind the keyboards on the TV show Dancing With The Stars these days, if you're interested.)

david moon

Attempting the Blues

In a lot of Tex-Mex music too

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I traded my accordion for my first guitar when I was 12 years old. At times I kind wish I still had it.
I don't have my first accordion (it was actually my older brother's, but he gave it up), but I still have my second one that is now over 50 years old and still in excellent condition.
I'm beginning to think I should practice a bit more and see if I can knock the rust off (me, not the accordion).

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Oh man,
That's cool!
Excellent Video!!!!
(y)
Thanks. First time playing that accordion. It needs some repairs. The bass side has an air leak that has to be fixed. It's also slightly out of tune, but I'm not touching that. It has a quirky tone I really like.

Also, just realized my farmers' tan is already showing. I wear gloves while working in the barn and most of the time I'm mowing the yard, driving the tractor or working in the garden. My arms are already half a dozen shades darker than my hands.