N(U)GD - PRS Santana

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I've always been a huge Santana fan. Long before I even thought about learning to play guitar I was a huge Santana fan. After starting to learn, and finding out about different manufacturers (Fender vs. Gibson, etc.) and ultimately finding out about PRS and then finding out about a PRS Santana signature model the lust, of course, started.

But I went shopping in Chicago early last year and tried one at Chicago Music Exchange and was crushed. I thought the neck was really chunky. In PRS terms, the neck profile is "Pattern Vintage" which means "tree trunk". And thought I'm never going to own the signature model of my idol.

Recently, I went into my local store, the only PRS dealer in town, looking at a PRS Special Semi-hollow body. And there on the wall was this Santana! I thought why not at least try it again? And it felt great! Yeah, there was a lot of substance to the neck but it felt comfortable.

I don't know why it felt comfortable but it did. Clearly my preferences have changed. And like all PRS it played and sounded great. It's maybe not as beautiful as some PRS I've seen. But the price was attractive and I was in love.

2014 PRS Santana "10" Top in Charcoal Burst:
prs-Santana.jpg
prs-Santana2.jpg
prs-SantanaNeck.jpg

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Beautiful guitar, btw, Carlos is on Master Class.com, there are about 10 hours of sessions. They do provide tabs for any thing he plays, but he never slows down to show you exactly what he is doing. It’s interesting, not necessarily essential, but might have extra value for a long time fan.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Ron... it is a beauty.

Mind if I ask what year it is... no not the current date... the year the guitar was made. Do you know?

I ask because of the different headstock, which I think was used a few years back.

BTW A shop near me is the biggest PRS dealer in New England and he has the original Santan prototype. Good news for you, it is for sale. Check it out!
https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.co...oduction-1979---Cherry-Sunburst-x42807127.htm

Best of luck for a long and enjoyable life with your new Santana PRS!

Shodai

Blues Junior
Been in that shop, and I've seen the guitar!

I'll add that, of you're ever in the area and get a chance to stop in, you should. John is a great guy, and quite the conversationalist. Seriously, he will talk with you like you're a long lost friend. Really nice guy. And what a shop!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
That guitar is just gorgeous! The Santana is also on my list someday as well, and for pretty much the same reasons.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Ron... it is a beauty.

Mind if I ask what year it is... no not the current date... the year the guitar was made. Do you know?

I ask because of the different headstock, which I think was used a few years back.

BTW A shop near me is the biggest PRS dealer in New England and he has the original Santan prototype. Good news for you, it is for sale. Check it out!
https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.co...oduction-1979---Cherry-Sunburst-x42807127.htm

Gotta wait for my stimulus check before I put that in my cart.

aleclee

Tribe of One
I don't know why it felt comfortable but it did. Clearly my preferences have changed.
Your tolerance for bigger necks might have changed but you might've found one that's also a wee bit smaller. It's amazing how easily our hands detect small differences in neck shape.

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
That is one stunning guitar! So very happy for you to have one of your guitar dreams realized; most here likely know that feeling, nothing quite like it. I hope you enjoy your new treasure for many years to come :Beer:

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Beautiful guitar, btw, Carlos is on Master Class.com, there are about 10 hours of sessions. They do provide tabs for any thing he plays, but he never slows down to show you exactly what he is doing. It’s interesting, not necessarily essential, but might have extra value for a long time fan.
Thanks, I saw that. And I;ve seen a couple of the promotional clips for the class. And I thought seriously about taking the class. I've made clear I'm a huge fan and thought about taking just for that reason. But then I was concerned about how much was his "slows down to show you exactly what he is doing".

Ron... it is a beauty.

Chris,
I'm sure you saw where @MarkDyson already told you, but it is a 2014. But you wouldn't know it. There is one, almost undetectable, tiny scratch on the back. Otherwise it is mint.

And why didn't you tell me about the Santana prototype before now?!? Maybe I would have gotten that instead:ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rad

Blues Newbie
I've always been a huge Santana fan. Long before I even thought about learning to play guitar I was a huge Santana fan. After starting to learn, and finding out about different manufacturers (Fender vs. Gibson, etc.) and ultimately finding out about PRS and then finding out about a PRS Santana signature model the lust, of course, started.

But I went shopping in Chicago early last year and tried one at Chicago Music Exchange and was crushed. I thought the neck was really chunky. In PRS terms, the neck profile is "Pattern Vintage" which means "tree trunk". And thought I'm never going to own the signature model of my idol.

Recently, I went into my local store, the only PRS dealer in town, looking at a PRS Special Semi-hollow body. And there on the wall was this Santana! I thought why not at least try it again? And it felt great! Yeah, there was a lot of substance to the neck but it felt comfortable.

I don't know why it felt comfortable but it did. Clearly my preferences have changed. And like all PRS it played and sounded great. It's maybe not as beautiful as some PRS I've seen. But the price was attractive and I was in love.

2014 PRS Santana "10" Top in Charcoal Burst:
View attachment 10913
View attachment 10914
View attachment 10915

I can’t resist, 17 yrs old, drove 400 miles with my buddy to go to the Fillmore West and stand ten foot from center stage to see Janis Joplin; some guy I never heard of opened for her. Yup, Santana. Oh my god, he rocked it that night. I’ve been a fan ever since.

nice guitar, BTW

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I can’t resist, 17 yrs old, drove 400 miles with my buddy to go to the Fillmore West and stand ten foot from center stage to see Janis Joplin; some guy I never heard of opened for her. Yup, Santana. Oh my god, he rocked it that night. I’ve been a fan ever since.

nice guitar, BTW

Didn't see that show, but when I undertook the staggering 25 mile drive to the Filmore, it always seemed a lot farther coming back....:cool:
...and Matonanjin, that guitar is gorgeous! :thumbup: