My thoughts on Strumming and rhythm mastery

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
I am on the final lesson of SRM - here are some thoughts:

This is the second course of Griffs that I have completed. The other was Abgu. It has been 30 years since I have graduated from college so many of my memories from that time are fuzzy. I remember one thing crystal clear. There was a single course that was so critical to all incoming freshmen that it was required for everyone to take. English 101. Long story short, strumming and rhythm mastery is English 101.

Griff alludes to this in the course description. He states that strumming is the most important skill to learn as a guitarist. This is an absolutely fantastic course. I really like how each lesson builds on the prior ones. There are some parts that are difficult to master. The only way to get through them is brute force. It is simply a function of getting the reps in and paying your dues. Once you do the pain of that process is quickly forgotten cuz that new skill is simply a ton o fun to do. For me the percussive slap took a while and in the heat of battle I was sure that it would never sound great, but I worked through it and own it (don't quit when the going gets tough).

I have a lot of time to allocate to practice. One thing I absolutely loved about this course was I could literally see my improvements on a daily basis. A strum that initially seemed damn near impossible I could begin play at a very slow pace, then a little better, then real time, suddenly I could play it without thinking. That kind of stuff is inspiring and makes me want more. I started this course along with another. I had so much fun with this one I ended up setting the other aside because all I wanted to do was work all of the various strums out. There are a ton of absolutely wonderful nuggets in this course that I can whip out whenever. I love having a bag of tricks. This course definitely made my bag significantly bigger. It has done amazing things for my strumming and rhythm which as Griff promised at the beginning of the course is now ROCK SOLID with next to no thought required.

If you are a geetar stud and have been playing with bands for a long time and can rip it up you most likely dont need it. If you are a regular guy like me trying to navigate learning the guitar on the interwebz take a peek at it. You can thank me later.

My next purchase will be the all access pass.

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
It took me 3.5 months but my major focus this past year has been dedicated to studying the guitar. I generally practice a minimum of 3 hours per day. I have have days where I will practice significantly more. Initially I was splitting my time between this and BGU. I really enjoyed this course, and for the past 2+ months it has been my major focus and I wound up shelving BGU which I will pick back up with today. I was able to ballpark my hours for completing AGBU. Because of all the variables in this one I just cant. But it is quite a few. They were hours very well spent as this course has helped my overall playing (not just my strumming) significantly and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire course

WolfMule

Blues Newbie
That makes me feel better. I practice 20-30 minutes a day, everyday. It took me about 5 months to get through the 1st 5 lessons at that pace. I was close to a complete beginner though other than knowing a few chords. I couldn't strum at all beforehand. I am just about to finish lesson #6. My goal is to finish it in 2020.

brokinbo

Blues Newbie
I was feeling I was an intermediate and BGU2 was the 1st course I got ( after the self teaching youtube thing ). I was capable of doing it but I just had a gnawing feeling I needed to back up a step. I looked through all the courses and decided it was timing and rhythm that I lacked ( seemed important when playing music LOL ) the strumming course was just the thing. I recommend to everyone. I needed the counting and timing. I'm about half way through. about a section a week, but I start most practices going through all prior play a longs and I'll change it up using bar chords or smaller chords for extra practice on chords.

brokinbo

Blues Newbie
Having gone through most of the course, I think the first 7 sections were definitely the toughest. You definitely get better as you go but there was a lot of complicated timing and counting and techniques to learn. I'm very happy I went through the course.