My Take On Recording Priorities

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I know we have some experts here, I don't claim to be one.
Having said that, here's my take on the weighted value of each step along the way to a quality recording.

I have to keep reminding myself that all the gear and plugins are valuable tools but, I need to focus on the most important aspects of getting a good finished song, the performance and the capture.

Maybe this will help you focus as well:

Recording Priorities.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'd say that was a pretty good diagram of priorities.(y)

Thanks for your thoughts Arty.

I'm of the mind that if you have a good performance and you do a good job of capturing it with your recording, you've got about 80% of what's needed to produce a good final product.

Last edited:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
That might explain why I have so many porcine purses around here.
I thought you had horses!!!
Somehow, "you can't make a silk purse out of a mare's ear" just doesn't sound right, does it? A sow is just so much more evocative.
I guess the linguists back then knew what they were doing.
And then.....there's that bacon thing.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I realized that I overlooked an obvious probable explanation for the origin of this phrase.
Fourteenth century linguists most likely owned pigs, not horses.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
The horse was the main form of transport in the Forteenth century. They didn't ride pigs.
Not sure what this brings to the pary but thought it was important:rolleyes:

cheers

Al.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I admit I sometimes have trouble following discussions down here, but this is a whole new level.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Can't argue with the diagram Cap'n. Much easier to mix a well recorded and performed song. You can (and I have!) spend days or even weeks trying to edit/mix a poor guitar part and it still sounds crap. Best to go back, learn it until it's second nature, then record it.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Good Chart CM.

I might add "song selection" and "performance review" to critical.

Listen to your raw recording before you go any further. Is this the right song for you?

A lot of times I think we have all seen, the right singer, or player, performing the wrong song ( for them ). And if you think another take is warranted, you might want to do that, even if it delays production.