"My" Open Mic Venue

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I've been to a couple other places, but this is my "home" any Thursday night I can get away for some playtime.

This is the view of the pub proper as seen from the stage area:

view from stage 2.jpg

And this is the stage area, as seen from the "groupie seats" closest to the music:

stage area.jpg

As you can see, it's kinda cozy. The black column behind the seated guy on the left is the speaker stack for the Bose sound system that comes with the house, and the space along the wall behind the ladies is where we stash our own amps when/if we bring them. My Nace Pro-18 can rattle the walls and so being loud enough is never an issue. One of the regulars brings an AC15 and there are a few other 10-20 watt amps that make an appearance now and again.

Like I've said elsewhere: this is more like a coffeehouse gig with beers. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So, last night's event was the anniversary of that pub having open mic night, so the place was packed and there were many "name" acts. Every week the organizer has a "featured act" that gets a 1-hour set; last night it was a 6 piece band called "Black Tail Rat." They describe themselves as "Back Porch Americana." It was a real challenge fitting them into the cozy stage area:

black_tail_rat_Panorama1.jpg

You can't even see the lead guitarist, he's sitting in back on your right, behind the front man. The lady way in back is the organizer, adjusting the mixer.

After all the sets were done we had a pick-up jam and I got to comp some with the two guys on the right (including the one you can't see) as well as a couple of other fairly-well-known guys. Fun! The lead guitarist was wowed by my 339, wanted to play it some, and now covets one.

Of course after the jam wrapped up it was brews and listening to war stories of the road. :Beer:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Mark,

Please remind this old mind here... what was wrong with your 'air guitar'? Did it need a repair? Thanks

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Gearing up for a 30 minute run tonight. Here's my set list (first two are new to me):

Standin' On The Rock (Ozark Mountain Daredevils)
Cinco De Mayo In Memphis (Guy Clark)
Deep Elem Blues (Traditional)
The Last Resort (The Eagles)
I Wanna Learn A Love Song (Harry Chapin)
Cooky & Lila (Dr. Hook)
Fortune Teller (Robert Plant)

Going to try using the GoPro/Zoom recording team to get this thing "on tape" and today I've been practicing with the music stand to the left of the mic so it doesn't block the camera's view of my fretting hand. We'll see how all this pans out. :confused:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Thanks, guys. I might end up swapping the Chapin song out for a John Denver tune; just not feelin' the love tonight. :confused: