My impossible dream...

gpower

Blues Junior
Psych! ;D

Kidding, of course. Probably a good time to move on and come back to it later. But, keep playing the licks and progression, as seperate pieces, during your practises. When you come back to it, it will be easier.

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?
You are encountering something we all have gone through and will continue to go through...whining included.
Take a break on that one and make it a part of your daily practice.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Sunny... you will do it!

The recordings you've posted so far all say the same thing "Sunny can play the Blues" :)

Have a break from it & when you come back to it you'll be fresh & de-psyched  :)

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Sunny - it is frustrating.  Just put it down for a while and move onto another lesson.

Play the blues in E or anything else that you CAN play.

Guitar playing is not linear - and just because you can't play something now doesn't mean you won't ever.

Slow it down - it's not a race - just enjoy it.  No one here thinks any less of you because you hit a wall.

If we did, we'd all be HUGE HYPOCRITES!!!

We ALL hit our own WALLS  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kimball

Blues Newbie
I'm part of the move on, take a break, and come back to it faction, Sunny. Don't worry...it can't beat you...your a blueswoman.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Sunny! It was cool!  I have problems all day long when I hit the record button! It's one of those things I have to overcome!

Good Job!

I

IrishRover

Sunny, I had the very same problem with the very same song so I just put it aside for a couple of weeks and went on to other things - - went back to it and while it wasn't great, it was better, and it will be for you too!  You just hit one of the many walls we will all hit in our journey.  Just remember the old saying, it's not how many times you get knocked down that counts - it's how many times you get back up.  Hang in there kid.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
That was one of the best videos ever!! See Sunny, you may have not had it perfect, but it was entertaining, had great commentary, and I had a smile on face watching the whole thing. Isn't that the point?!  :) That's really awesome that you posted it. And really, there were some missed notes, but you should have kept going, it wasn't that bad!!
 Honestly, I sat for a couple hours like 3 nights in a row after I thought I had it "perfect" just trying to get something I would post. It's a tough song, with a tough rhythm. You WILL get it. That I can promise. You should post sitting easy blues or something. I don't think I've seen that one by you yet. Wow, can't believe I've typed this much already. Hmmm, I'll stop now. Okay, really now.... Keep up the good work!

and BTW, the problem with "moving on" and then coming back to that lesson is that barre chords follow. GRRRRRR.  ;D

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Great video Sunny.  Showing your fretting hand close up is a good idea.  Some thoughts:

1- As I used to tell my sisters when we were kids, quit bein' a crybaby ;).

2- I agree with Spencer.  You should have kept going.  You're closer than you think.

3- When you get too frustrated with whatever lesson you're currently focused on you tend to get really tense, which minimizes your chances of getting it right.  Move on to some other things but keep coming back & trying to approach this one in a relaxed way.

4- If you cut the fingernails on your fretting hand as short as you can, you might find it easier to hit those notes without deadening them.

5- You're doing good.  Keep the recordings coming.

miki512

Blues Newbie
Sunny, it's just a mental block.  Try a little Zen.  Would you please send my fingers back to me I would like to practice. :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Sunny, I just loved that. You had me cracking up. I could hear the frustration in your voice. As others have said put it in your back pocket, sit on it for a few days, play some other things (even if they are older things that you already know) then come back to it.
Believe it when everyone says that we all feel like that now and then. Some pieces just eat my lunch. Sooner or later you will play that and think back and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Hang in there girl.

J

jhagan421

Been ther done that, but I didn't post it! ;D  Great stuff.  Hey it's terrific that you are so comfortable with us to post that.  

I have not played that one i a while, I may go have a crack at it right now, you've Inspired me

WAY TO GO SUNNY :) :)

M

Murr

Sunny, remember the words of comfort and wisdom you gave me when I was all  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]  :mad:, those words apply to you as well my friend. It is just a stumbling block, move on and you will see that the block WILL be gone. You're doing great. You shall overcome. Trust me (and I'm no Doctor) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

L

Lame_Pinky

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?
You are encountering something we all have gone through and will continue to go through...whining included.
Take a break on that one and make it a part of your daily practice.
Hee hee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee   ;D ;D ;D

Not laughing at you Sunny just at Strato's comments about cheese & whine ( I thought it was good )
I can see a few little problems there but nothing that cannot be fixed.Interesting , do you place your ring finger on the 5th string 2nd fret when making an E chord ?
It also seems to me that you are keeping your fingers in place for chord formation rather than playing the single notes ( hard to explain here I know ) practice the
minor pentatonic & blues pentatonic scale would help here for sure.Lifting your middle fingercompletely off the string (when going from the 4th string to the 5th on
the 2nd fret & back) won't help I don't think, its more of a roll of your finger from one string to the other.I'll have to have a look at the vid & see how Griff plays
it.Keep at it one bar at a time + the 1st note of the 2nd bar & you'll get it i'm sure.

LP

Steve_M

Blues Newbie
Very honest posting Sunny......but dont beat yourself up over it.  I'm not experiencd enough to offer any technical/playing tips but your post (in very general terms) is a snapshot of pretty much every lesson I have attempted in BBG.
Somedays OK....other days....well ...not so OK.  :-/
I think you should move on...stick two fingers up to 'Marys Woolly Friend'...but come back to it and give it another chance in a few days. Dont let it win and maybe repost when you have it beat.

You will crack it....chin up Girl  :-*

Cheers

Steve

M

MandyC

Hi Sunny

I have a whole host of really delicious recipes with lamb!!!!!!

I agree with the guys, just leave it in the slow cooker for now and come back to it when it's nice and tender..........

B

b0b_b4rk3r

Hey Sunny.....you gave it a shot....it got you this time...but you're not a quitter....right..... :cool:

Break it down into bite sized pieces and chew 'em up.....then string it all together..... ;)

I think Lamb Kebab's...... ;D

We all hit a wall somewhere.....kick it .....then walk away....then come back and kick it again....sooner or later it'll come crashing down..... ;)

Keep going and keep the faith.....you can do it..... :)

Bob

mifar55

Blues Newbie
  Sunny, If I'm not mistaken, It say's Blues God above your Avatar. Blues Gods don't cry!! They pick themselfs up and keep digging deeper untill they get it right. So, no I won't cry for you...that's too easy of a solution.