My head hurts

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Man, every time I think I'm getting close, Griff throws in another curve ball. The Triad session yesterday has me feeling like I did when I first started looking at the boxes.
Of course, this is exactly what impresses me when I listen to other players that I admire. It's gonna be a slow one, but I think this is going to lift my playing another level.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I need to watch that one. I was planning on catching it live and was at my computer editing video. Hello senior moment! Got so into doing the video, I forgot completely until about an hour after it was over.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I need to watch that one. I was planning on catching it live and was at my computer editing video. Hello senior moment! Got so into doing the video, I forgot completely until about an hour after it was over.
I didn't even log on the computer yesterday. I completely missed it. I'll have to boot up the recorded session. I worked on Bob Murnahan's Triad Power, Blues Edition course for a while. I thought it was great information.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Man, every time I think I'm getting close, Griff throws in another curve ball.
Try relating it to lessons we've already had.

It's similar to the 3rds & 6ths we did a couple of weeks ago. Instead of 2 notes in double stop 3rds (R-3), we now have 3 note triads, R-3-5.

The SHR for Major applies to triads and "smaller" double stops, as well as "taller" chords. Just different numbers of notes.

Kind of like triads + or -.

Playing over a C7, Griff suggested "counting from the V", just like we did with double stops.

This is Mixolydian mode. The only difference from the Major is the b7.

This is actually F Major counting from the V. All the B's are flat.

You could also harmonize C Major using the SHR and go back through and flat all the B's (Bb).

It's easiest for me to just think Mixolydian and flat all the 7's of the Major.

Also, last week we were discussing getting the chords for the A Natural Minor scale by taking the C Major chords and counting from the vi.
Here we are taking the same C Major chords and counting from the V (Mixolydian).

It's interesting that most people understand harmonizing the Major Scale using the SHR.

But when harmonizing other scales things get wonky.

You just do the same thing.

Build triads using the notes of whatever scale you are using.;)

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The really "new" concept he discussed was triads "within" a taller chord.

Example: C13

C E G B D F A

Any 3 consecutive notes is a triad!!!

Or it'a a Dm chord on top of a C7 chord?

Or a Bm7b5 chord on top of a C Maj chord?

What???

He started going into this in one of the newer courses, but left it at that. (Chord by Chord?)

Just some thoughts that may or may not help.

Last edited:

Mike A

BLUES NOODLER
Man, every time I think I'm getting close, Griff throws in another curve ball. The Triad session yesterday has me feeling like I did when I first started looking at the boxes.
Of course, this is exactly what impresses me when I listen to other players that I admire. It's gonna be a slow one, but I think this is going to lift my playing another level.

great lesson ..but left me in the dust . every time Griff does a lesson like this i have to back to the BGU 2.0 coarse..and start over..were is the Errrrr emogi?