My Dictionary of Guitar Terms

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Very doubtful. I haven't been able to get the triplets to sound correct on Hideaway Blues. It'll be a while.

That triplet caught me out too Russ... for a little while... but not for long! The trick is to really LISTEN to Griff's demonstration at full speed so you know what sound you're aiming at, then play it along with Griff at slow speed 'til you get that right and only THEN move on to trying to play it along with Griff at full speed...

Once you have the 'tune' you want to play firmly in your mind it's easier to reproduce the sounds you want; the real trick lies in the listening... Listen VERY carefully! (And remember there's a helluva difference between 'listening' and merely 'hearing'...)

Hope this helps!

[smiley=beer.gif]

Russ

Blues Newbie
I am currently working on Straight Down 6th Ave, while my wrist gains strength. I've had some pretty serious damage done to both my wrists over the years, so its taking longer than it should. But, I am making progress.

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
I am currently working on Straight Down 6th Ave, while my wrist gains strength. I've had some pretty serious damage done to both my wrists over the years, so its taking longer than it should. But, I am making progress.

Sorry to hear about your damaged wrists, Russ... but, on the positive side, it seems there are several people on this blog who have either taken up guitar as 'therapy' for injured hands/wrists, or who are playing despite such injuries, and who find that persistence, though possibly painful, has a positive effect on their poorly paws... (How's that for alliteration!) Hope your wrist strengthens up soon; your persistence deserves a beer:

[smiley=beer.gif]

Russ

Blues Newbie
V.O.S.: Vintage Original Specs

Reissue guitars using specs from original year of manufacture.

PAF: Patent Applied For
Fender put these stickers on his pups in an attempt to keep people from copying his pickups. They came to be known as PAF's.

Russ

Blues Newbie
I found this interesting. I'm basically just above beginner stage and was never made aware there is a difference. I thought they were synonyms until reading a book recently.

Lick: Small group of notes played once

Riff: Main composition figure of a song