Music Education Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I use Video Surgeon a lot. I procrastinated because of the price but eventually caved in.

Once I got into it, I was sorry I didn't make the jump much earlier.

For me, it's worth every penny.
^^^ This
I use Video Surgeon everyday. And everyday I use it for a majority of my practice session.

There is, without the slightest bit of hesitation, no doubt in my mind my most important learning tool.
Period.

Lot of people rave about Guitar Pro and other tools. And I'm sure it is helpful to them. I had to recently format my hard drive and reinstall my OS. This was months ago. I haven't even reinstalled GP yet.

But the first thing I installed after the OS was Video Surgeon.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
^^^ This
I use Video Surgeon everyday. And everyday I use it for a majority of my practice session.

There is, without the slightest bit of hesitation, no doubt in my mind my most important learning tool.
Period.

Lot of people rave about Guitar Pro and other tools. And I'm sure it is helpful to them. I had to recently format my hard drive and reinstall my OS. This was months ago. I haven't even reinstalled GP yet.

But the first thing I installed after the OS was Video Surgeon.
Guitar Pro and Video Surgeon are tow different animals. GP is for writing music & VS is for playing the videos.
Honestly with Griff's loop & speed features online, I seldom use VS anymore. I DO use RiffMaster Pro all the time when I want to just loop audio and not have to get to the BGU site.

matonanjin

I'm blatantly aware that Guitar Pro and Video Surgeon are completely different intended uses. My point was just that I use Video Surgeon constantly. Maybe if I familiarized myself with "Griff's loop & speed features online" I would less. But I use VS for other videos also. I'm currently learning (trying), holiday appropriately, a Bluesy Jingle Bells for which I'm using VS. Video or audio file, how did people learn to play before slow down tempo software?!?!?!? :mad::eek::rolleyes:

When I want to loop audio, I use VS's little sister Song Surgeon (on occasion). But most of the time I transfer the file to my Boss eBand JS-10 and then set start and end points and speed and play it in it. This is just the routine I've come to use.

I never use Guitar Pro. At least rarely. I probably gave the wrong impression in my original post. I wasn't making a comparative statement. Everybody talks about Guitar Pro. Every lesson by anybody it seems comes with gpx files. The "Jingle Bell Blues" mentioned above came with gpx files. I probably haven't fired up Guitar Pro in a year. It seems that everything that I would use Guitar Pro for I do by other means. Maybe we have uncovered the void in my study routine! THIS is why I am not making more progress.:rolleyes:o_O

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm blatantly aware that Guitar Pro and Video Surgeon are completely different intended uses. My point was just that I use Video Surgeon constantly. Maybe if I familiarized myself with "Griff's loop & speed features online" I would less. But I use VS for other videos also. I'm currently learning (trying), holiday appropriately, a Bluesy Jingle Bells for which I'm using VS. Video or audio file, how did people learn to play before slow down tempo software?!?!?!? :mad::eek::rolleyes:

When I want to loop audio, I use VS's little sister Song Surgeon (on occasion). But most of the time I transfer the file to my Boss eBand JS-10 and then set start and end points and speed and play it in it. This is just the routine I've come to use.

I never use Guitar Pro. At least rarely. I probably gave the wrong impression in my original post. I wasn't making a comparative statement. Everybody talks about Guitar Pro. Every lesson by anybody it seems comes with gpx files. The "Jingle Bell Blues" mentioned above came with gpx files. I probably haven't fired up Guitar Pro in a year. It seems that everything that I would use Guitar Pro for I do by other means. Maybe we have uncovered the void in my study routine! THIS is why I am not making more progress.:rolleyes:o_O

The GPX files are mainly for the music score/tab. you can play the score withing GPX, but it VERY MIDI sounding. I Wish Griff could supply GuitarPro files, but he uses different software to create his manuals, so when I REALLY want to use them to mix & match licks, have to retype them from the tab.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Guitar Pro opens just about any tab file out there. To create your own, TuxGuitar is a free equivalent but not sure it opens the latest Guitar Pro format. I also like Musescore but I tend to use it to write chord charts.

matonanjin

10 years of this thread and no one has added

Coffee Break Grooves?!?!

to the list of backing track sites. Every backing track is 15 minutes long and just so professionally performed. They are not inexpensive. Far from inexpensive. But they are about as good as they get. For blues they offer 4 different albums and each has 8 tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.