April 2021 Challenge - Muddy Waters

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Recently @blackcoffeeblues launched a challenge in tribute of John Prine where BGUers posted their recordings of his songs in memory of his passing on April 8th 2020.

We had some real good contributions by several members.
Check it out here if you missed it:
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/john-prine-tribute-april-8th.32078/

@Annie posted a song and had this Idea:
"I had a good time and tried to be self deprecating only to show how much I liked the awesome job everyone's been doing. Just a thought.....how about doing more like this in the Blues genre? Maybe like a Muddy Waters, BB King or Howlin Wolf theme or anybody's fav's.
You can count me in."

I thought that was a great idea, but we had no follow up.
So........
I resurrected a Muddy Waters cover I did a few years ago.
Now it's your turn.
Let's hear what you've got in your Muddy Waters repertoire.

Here's one to kick it off:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/2uj7so409luzo17/Baby Please Don't Go..mp3?dl=0

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Recently @blackcoffeeblues launched a challenge in tribute of John Prine where BGUers posted their recordings of his songs in memory of his passing on April 8th 2020.

We had some real good contributions by several members.
Check it out here if you missed it:
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/john-prine-tribute-april-8th.32078/

@Annie posted a song and had this Idea:
"I had a good time and tried to be self deprecating only to show how much I liked the awesome job everyone's been doing. Just a thought.....how about doing more like this in the Blues genre? Maybe like a Muddy Waters, BB King or Howlin Wolf theme or anybody's fav's.
You can count me in."

I thought that was a great idea, but we had no follow up.
So........
I resurrected a Muddy Waters cover I did a few years ago.
Now it's your turn.
Let's hear what you've got in your Muddy Waters repertoire.

Here's one to kick it off:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/2uj7so409luzo17/Baby Please Don't Go..mp3?dl=0

that was sweet

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Whoa---that's gonna be 2 acts hard to follow. Capn. got that Chicago bred thing going for him. :thumbup: Very cool.
Then Glynnd comes on with a killer version of "Hooghie Coochie Man" Nice job. You got a REALLY GOOD voice for this blues thing.:thumbup:
See you later, got my work cut out for me here. This might take a few days. Got one in mind but havn't played it in years.

Last edited:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I love that photo. It was the inside cover (double jacketed LP) of Muddy's "Electric Mud" album.
Sadly, my copy was damaged by water while I lived in Florida. The record is fine, but the jacket has suffered an unkind fate.
View attachment 14275

That's an interesting comment, Papa. All of my LP records are more than 30 years old, and I feel like I'm almost keeping them for the covers and the inserts rather than the actual records themselves. I've often wondered whether I could do without the vinyl, but it would be hard to part with some of those covers.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That's an interesting comment, Papa. All of my LP records are more than 30 years old, and I feel like I'm almost keeping them for the covers and the inserts rather than the actual records themselves. I've often wondered whether I could do without the vinyl, but it would be hard to part with some of those covers.
I have stuff going back to the 60's and I considered getting rid of everything when I moved from Florida a few years ago. I dumped my VHS tapes (several hundred) and close to 300 reels of 1/4" audio tape and recordings, but I couldn't bring myself to dispose of any of my LPs.

Elwood

Blues
I love that photo. It was the inside cover (double jacketed LP) of Muddy's "Electric Mud" album.
not gonna tell the story, nope aint gonna do it...what?...rats.
That reminds me of a story...a "few years ago" me and three friends rented a house in an "interesting" part of town. We fit. The landlord was a huge PIA though. Show up all the time and say he was there to "fix" that or "take a look" at that. One day I put on that album, a few of us looked at that liner photo with fresh eyes, we busted out laughing because we recognized a resemblance to our favorite landlord. The platter lived in the sleeve for a while. I hung that photo on the wall just as you came in the door. :p:p:p:p:p

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Not waiting for the deadline like with Prine, striking quickly without thinking this time. Never recorded a Muddy song before, but they were among the first I learned.I saw Muddy blow Clapton off the stage one time, Slowhand was in his singer/songwriter/post junkie phase. Tons of energy for Muddy. Saw him with Johnny Winter, Pinetop, and James Cotton later in his career, equally good, but more sitting on stools, jamming. Anyway, here's a tribute to Mud:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygp2ic2nk3jqexc/michael nierzejewski - Champagne and Reefer.mp3?dl=0

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Not waiting for the deadline like with Prine, striking quickly without thinking this time. Never recorded a Muddy song before, but they were among the first I learned.I saw Muddy blow Clapton off the stage one time, Slowhand was in his singer/songwriter/post junkie phase. Tons of energy for Muddy. Saw him with Johnny Winter, Pinetop, and James Cotton later in his career, equally good, but more sitting on stools, jamming. Anyway, here's a tribute to Mud:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygp2ic2nk3jqexc/michael nierzejewski - Champagne and Reefer.mp3?dl=0

Wow! :cool: That's one I don't recall.
You done good!

Get your Muddy, Buddy!

(y)(y)(y)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
That was enjoyable Steve :thumbup:
Braylon; I like your version of "Champagne and Reefer" better than Muddys-you did it REALLY GOOD...:Beer::thumbup::thumbup:
PAPA; I had that album too. It was the only recordings he did that were not on "Chess Records"---and If I remember right???---Johnny Winter produced it. could be wrong--- been along time ago. 72 or some time round then.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
PAPA; I had that album too. It was the only recordings he did that were not on "Chess Records"---and If I remember right???---Johnny Winter produced it. could be wrong--- been along time ago. 72 or some time round then.
The album was on Cadet Concept records, which I think was wholly owned by Chess Records. The only date on the album (for some reason they didn't used to put Copyright dates on older records) was 1968. I don't think Johnny Winter was involved but I could be and frequently am wrong.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
The album was on Cadet Concept records, which I think was wholly owned by Chess Records. The only date on the album (for some reason they didn't used to put Copyright dates on older records) was 1968. I don't think Johnny Winter was involved but I could be and frequently am wrong.
Johnny produced Hard Again, Muddy's comeback album of sorts, in 1977, they did one or two more records after. Great stuff.