Blues Newbie
Major Pent. is  W,W,W+H,W,W+H
Minor Pent. is  W+H,W,W,H+H,W
W = Whole
H  = Half

LP   :cool:

Daft question Whole and Half what ?

I am a real B in BBG .

Steps - change of pitch up or down.  A Half step is one fret up or down from the starting pitch/note; a Whole step is two half steps, two frets up or down from the starting pitch/note (see, you did need to learn about fractions!).

:cool:

L

leedove

Major Pent. is  W,W,W+H,W,W+H
Minor Pent. is  W+H,W,W,H+H,W
W = Whole
H  = Half

Daft question Whole and Half what ?

I am a real B in BBG .

Steps - change of pitch up or down.  A Half step is one fret up or down from the starting pitch/note; a Whole step is two half steps, two frets up or down from the starting pitch/note (see, you did need to learn about fractions!).

Thanks , makes sense now  :)

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
and remember what adds to how on this is that there are two pairs of notes that have no whole step.

But using this formula, you can start anywhere on the fret board and do the scale in any key.

right? right? I'm right here aren't i? tell me I'm getting it! :'(

wgabree

Blues Newbie
and remember what adds to how on this is that there are two pairs of notes that have no whole step.

But using this formula, you can start anywhere on the fret board and do the scale in any key.

right? right? I'm right here aren't i? tell me I'm getting it! :'(
Bingo!

B C & E F have only a half step between them.  It's easier to visualize this on a keyboard:

keyboard.png

The interval between white keys is a whole step, with the exception of B to C and E F.  The distance between a white key and the next black key is a half step, as is the distance from a black key and the next white key.  If there is no black key, it's a half step to the next white key (BC, EF).

And here are those notes on the fretboard:

chromatic.jpg

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
Wayne, can you email me the graphic of the fret board?

kevenkanten@yahoo.com

please. I've been meaning to draw one out but since you already have a graphic. I'm trying to memorize all the notes on the fret board as my mentor is always saying, "let's start this on E of the A string..." and I have to look at where he's putting his finger most times.

this would be a big help. I sure appreciate this.

L

leedove

Another daft beginner question relatedto this but probably more general music theory.

Why is the no E sharp / F flat or B sharp / C flat on the fretboard or by the looks of it on the piano ?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question  :)

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
LeeD if you look at the piano keyboard you will see that all #'s and b's are on the black keys. There are no black keys between the B and C, or the E and F.

L

leedove

LeeD if you look at the piano keyboard you will see that all #'s and b's are on the black keys. There are no black keys between the B and C, or the E and F.

That is why I asked the question  :). Why is there no black keys ?

After a bit of research I have found that there are equal Frequency spacings that mean that e and b sharp don't fit.

This does beg the question who and why did the scale get its note names etc. 

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie

After a bit of research I have found that there are equal Frequency spacings that mean that e and b sharp don't fit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Beethoven who created our music scale that we use in our western music? I mean, other instruments are quite different in other cultures. The notes and scales on a sitar are quite advanced and broken down into even more notes.

The scale we use, looks almost like a mathematical formula to me.

L

Lame_Pinkey

Another daft beginner question relatedto this but probably more general music theory.

Why is the no E sharp / F flat or B sharp / C flat on the fretboard or by the looks of it on the piano ?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question  :)
A note by any other name still sounds as sweet & fine as ...well, however that goes !
In other words an F is an E # ( 1 half step above) a C is a B # - really it is...would i lie to you  ::)

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Wayne, can you email me the graphic of the fret board?

kevenkanten@yahoo.com

please. I've been meaning to draw one out but since you already have a graphic. I'm trying to memorize all the notes on the fret board as my mentor is always saying, "let's start this on E of the A string..." and I have to look at where he's putting his finger most times.

this would be a big help. I sure appreciate this.

On it's way!  :cool:

wgabree

Blues Newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Beethoven who created our music scale that we use in our western music? I mean, other instruments are quite different in other cultures. The notes and scales on a sitar are quite advanced and broken down into even more notes.

The scale we use, looks almost like a mathematical formula to me.

Nope - Beethoven didn't create it - nobody really knows - it's origins go back to ancient times.  Pythagoras had a hand in it.  It's based on ratios, like you mentioned i.e. math.

But the current Equal temperament (equal division of the octave into 12 notes) came in around J.S. Bach's time.  His "Well Tempered Clavier" works were written to showcase the usefulness of the tuning.  Before equal temperament, fixed pitch instruments could not be played in ALL keys.

But, the 12 tone Western musical system was already in place.  This was just tuning tweak to help instruments play in more keys.

In essence, it means all keys are equally OUT OF TUNE!

Reason?  The circle of perfect 5ths is actually a SPIRAL; natural has played a trick on us and all music is actually BROKEN! ;-)

Google equal temperament for more info.

wgabree

Blues Newbie

Hey Lee,

Answer - it's just how things worked out with the 12 tone system of Western music.

Arbitrary deciding to use just 7 letter names for the notes lead to the way to played out.

It's important to know that there IS such a thing as E sharp - it's also called F!  ALL the notes have more than one name.  What they are called depends on what key center you're in.

Bottom line, starting out you have to ACCEPT some facts that don't fit in with previous ideas you have about language and math.  Music is very different.  It's not going to fit into your experience of other things (at least not right away!).