Movable Chords

panther

Blues Newbie
On page 43 of BBG, Griff says "Since we now have some movable Chord shapes".
However no where in the DVD's or the book does it tell us what are, "Movable chord shapes", Are they the G, Gm, G7, or the earlier G, C, D, A, E, Amin, Dmin, Emin ?

BTW Griff My spell checker says "Movable" is misspelled.

"Panther"

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Not really sure what you're talking about. Page 42 says clear at the top "How to Play Barre Chords" then follows showing three different movable chord shapes.
      Next page 43 lays out the notes for you so you can find them on the 5th and 6th strings.
        Lastly page 44 gets into how to apply them and use them. ??? I haven't watched the DVD in a while but I'd think like others its explained the same way there.

As far as movable, here ya go. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/movable

L

Lame_Pinkey

Yes Dan , Griff is referring to the barre chords introduced on page 42 these are the moveable chords.
There are many more ofcourse but that is for further on down the track (further on up the road ?)

LP

Russ

Blues Newbie
What this all means is that if you use those same shapes on different frets, then the name of the chord changes. That's what he meant about knowing 10 different shapes can give you 120 chords. (10 shapes x 12 notes = 120 chords). Remember, we're just at the beginning. We gotta start somewhere.

panther

Blues Newbie
LP;
Thanks for explaining it. I really wasn't sure, and he just mentions that "NOW THAT WE HAVE SOME MOVABLE CHORDS", and the past few lessons he had given us many chords and didn't specify which were movable.
I find it's never a good thing to assume.

"Panther"

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Also remember, the book is just notes on the DVD - the real teaching is contained in the DVD lessons.

Whenever you look at the book and it doesn't make sense, always review the corresponding DVD lesson and watch it as many times as needed until it makes sense.

:cool:

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
LP;
Thanks for explaining it. I really wasn't sure, and he just mentions that "NOW THAT WE HAVE SOME MOVABLE CHORDS", and the past few lessons he had given us many chords and didn't specify which were movable.
I find it's never a good thing to assume.

"Panther"

Panther, I know, I am like that. It's the subtleties of things that can drive me nuts...and in an area where you are trying to learn, you sure do hate to make assumptions bec. you have to go back later and unlearn what you thought was right...!!!!

giayank

Just another day in paradise
    the only part of Griff's courses that are frustrating at times is that we are learning by our selves. Just reenforces the importance of the forum.Not sure of a lesson ask about it.I did and will continue to.All the help I have gotten here is as good as it gets.I said it b4 i'll say it again this forum rocks. [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I can see the point but the thing to remember is to keep refering to the DVD as well as the book, Griff mentions the "E" shape and he says " slide it along", this is the movable part, then combine it with the bar finger and the root is the note on the 6th string.

:)

wgabree

Blues Newbie
I can see the point but the thing to remember is to keep refering to the DVD as well as the book, Griff mentions the "E" shape and he says " slide it along", this is the movable part, then combine it with the bar finger and the root is the note on the 6th string.

:)
Yup - the book is only about 10% of the teaching.  Focus on the DVD.  :cool:

panther

Blues Newbie
I think what everyone is forgetting is that for example, what Don wrote goes over the head of a beginner.

"then combine it with the bar finger and the root is the note on the 6th string."

To a beginner this makes very little sense, not to single out anyone, it's just keep in mind that BBG is for beginners.

Dan

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
all i know that works for me is any barre chord moved one fret is another chord and if you know the notes of scale, they are easy to name. If you are in A and move up a fret it becomes A sharp. Then B... etc.

For scales, I learned first that starting anywhere, you just combine that same knowledge and Major is 3 wholes, 1 half, 2 wholes, 1 half and then back with 3 wholes. Minor is 2 wholes, a half, 2 wholes, 1 half. I have not learned the 7ths and such but will. Doing two learning directions at the same time because they complement each other. But Griff is like the kick in the pants for what I'm learning else where too.

L

Lame_Pinkey

Major Pent. is  W,W,W+H,W,W+H
Minor Pent. is  W+H,W,W,H+H,W
W = Whole
H  = Half

LP   :cool:

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
W = Whole
H  = Half

You sure on the minor?
(I should know better than to ask) maybe this is why it sometimes doesn't sound right. LOL.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Minor Pent. is  W+H,W,W,[glow=yellow,2,300]H[/glow]+H,W
W = Whole
H  = Half

You sure on the minor?
(I should know better than to ask) maybe this is why it sometimes doesn't sound right. LOL.

Highlighted H should be W  ;)

L

Lame_Pinkey

Minor Pent. is  W+H,W,W,[glow=yellow,2,300]H[/glow]+H,W
W = Whole
H  = Half

You sure on the minor?

Highlighted H should be W  ;)
oops typo...hang me

LP   ;D

panther

Blues Newbie
now they are showing off...we'll catch up...

I get more determined every day.
It is amazing how much more I understand now then I did 6 months ago, without really studying, some things You just pick up as you go without even realizing it..

Dan

L

leedove

W = Whole
H  = Half

Daft question Whole and Half what ?

I am a real B in BBG .