Most “Iconic” entertainer/concert you have seen in person??

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Back in the Day:
I saw the Butterfield Blues Band around 1970. Chubby Checker played at my H.S. senior prom in 1972. In 1973 I saw an up & coming bar band from around Boston as they were just starting to break out - Aerosmith they were called. Also around that time: Yes, Jethro Tull, Emerson-Lake-and-Palmer, Grateful Dead (of course), Leo Kottke, Bonnie Raitt, Mahavishnu Orchestra (the 70's version w/John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, Jan Hammer). In 1978 I saw Little Feat (still with Lowell George), just after the Waiting for Columbus album.

More recently:
BB King, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Eric Clapton, Sonny Landreth, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Luther "Guitar Junior" Johnson, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, David Bromberg, Richard Thompson, Los Lobos, Little Feat (w/o Lowell, but with Paul Barrere, Bill Payne, Sam Clayton, Kenny Gradney).

[Not included above, because that would be cheating: Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013 - a few icons were there, though!]

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Some of you may already know this but Bo Diddley was the sheriff in the small village that we live in. In 1972 I ran into Bo at Roses Cantina in Algodones, NM (a bit North of Albuquerque). Just the two of us sat in the back of the Cantina drinking beer and talking about music (of course listening to the house band...which he was keenly interested in). I found him to be a very humble and interesting person to say the least. Fast forward to 1976 (I had just gotten out of the Army)............I drove to San Francisco to visit a friend, and stopped in Santa Cruz to check out the local talent. I was leaning over the railing while watching the band, and somebody keeps tapping me on the shoulder. I turned around and lo and behold it was Bo Diddley. I was stunned! First words out of his mouth were "Steve...what are you doing way out here?? Needless to say we commenced to spill a few beers...I mean what are you gonna do?? First of all, I couldn't believe that he would even remember me over the years, and second that he would take the time to acknowledge me. It was a memorable evening to be sure (most of which I can't relate because of forum rules).

Steve

Awesome story/encounter Steve...

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Some great stories... I guess you could say you kids have been around!! and then some...

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Really hard for me to say because I get hung up on "iconic". Going back there was the Bill Black's Combo (he was in the original band with Elvis), the there were for me Muddy Waters, Paul Butterfield, B.B. King (many times), James Cotton, and so on.

panther

Blues Newbie
B.B. King, The Eagles, Steppenwolf, Grassroots, Iron Butteryfly, Grateful Dead, Eric Burdon and the Amimals, Canned Heat.
Enjoyed everyone of them to the max.
You can't beat a live performance.
Dan

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
easy answer for me...Zep on first American tour and Jimi..they both helped me to quit for 25 years...:whistle:...later.

cowboy

sloslunas

NM Blues
I sent a PM to a member that claims that he went to 4 Rolling Stones concerts. That was ignored. So I would like to ask any others...did you ever seen the Stones when Stevie Wonder, and Martha and the Vandellas opened for them??

Steve

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I sent a PM to a member that claims that he went to 4 Rolling Stones concerts. That was ignored. So I would like to ask any others...did you ever seen the Stones when Stevie Wonder, and Martha and the Vandellas opened for them??

Steve
I bet Stevie didn't see them

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

Steve

Only saw the Stones once. That was at a concert that had little or no promotion in November of 1969. It was in Colorado State University's basketball gymnasium (better known to the locals as Moby Gym). The opening act was a keys player by the name of Terry Reid and his band. The second act was an up and coming blues guitarist by the name of B.B. King. The Stones were the final act. I think I had a really good time at the concert, but about the only thing I remember was when B.B. King came out on stage, his guitar walked across the stage to him... or at least that's my recollection of it. I was 16.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I've seen the Stones once, Clapton twice, ZZ Top A few, Led Zep at Atlanta Stadium, Allman Bros, Atlanta Rhythm Section and Skynyrd more than I can count, Neil Young dozen or so, Three Dog Night, Rod Stewart, Foghat, Joe Cocker, CSN and occasionally with Y, J Geils, Uriah Heep, Moody Blues, Yes, Blue Oyster Cult, Outlaws, Johnny And Edgar Winter, Savoy Brown and don't let this out Michael Jackson, Bette Midler and Neil Diamond (the things we do for love) Have met a few Including Kenny Rogers and Joe South most notably

Almost forgot, had front row seats for Argent and Alvin Lee & Co

sloslunas

NM Blues
Stones, Stevie and Martha.......whoa!
That would have been interesting.
Yes it was! I only got a chance to see them once and that was in 1972. Stevie Wonder opened the show with a short set. He was good, but not really my style of music. Martha and the Vandellas were the second act. They were pretty good...and, half way through their set Stevie came back on stage and proceeded to play every instrument on stage (and there were a bunch!!). He totally blew the audience away with his talent. He definitely got my attention and respect...

Steve

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Stevie Wonder was at NAMM checking out some of the gear - he was surrounded by two HUGE guys and a couple security personnel. People were trying to get selfies with him in the background and his handlers weren't even allowing that...

Kevin