Most “Iconic” entertainer/concert you have seen in person??

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
With the Buddy Guy post, it got me thinking/curious who is the most notable person or concert you have been to? Has anybody seen the Beatles? The best one I could come up with is I got to see Elvis in concert back when I was senior in high school.. Not that I was into him much back then but I remembered it was a GREAT show and I’m glad I got the opportunity to see him… Who do you have on your list??

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks to my youngest son, I had the pleasure of seeing Van Halen this past summer and getting backstage passes to meet Wolfgang (Eddie Van Halen's son). While we were chatting, Wolf dragged his dad out of his dressing room to meet us. The concert was a nice throwback to my youth. It also didn't hurt that Kenny Wayne Shepherd was the opening act.
Vanhalen.jpg

AlanT

Blues Newbie
The Who, 1974, Charlton Athletic Football stadium, Eric Clapton 1989 and Paul McCartney (also 1989).

(y)

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
I think the most iconic for me was Jimi Hendrix at the Col Ballroom in Davenport in August of '68 and then Steppenwolf at the Masonic Temple in Davenport in March of '69.

My first two "rock" concerts. My schoolmate, who was also the drummer in our very early band, got us a couple of tickets. His Mom worked for the radio station and promoter (KSTT). Both concerts we like three or four rows back, center stage.

I was honestly more impressed with Steppenwolf at the time, than I was with Hendrix. If I am honest, I guess I have to say that I am still more impressed with Steppenwolf than with Hendrix. Don't hate me, just the way it is. :whistle:

jackderby52

Thanks to my youngest son, I had the pleasure of seeing Van Halen this past summer and getting backstage passes to meet Wolfgang (Eddie Van Halen's son). While we were chatting, Wolf dragged his dad out of his dressing room to meet us. The concert was a nice throwback to my youth. It also didn't hurt that Kenny Wayne Shepherd was the opening act.

Papa, great picture, great story and great son! By the way, Eddie was one of my all-time guitar favorites as well (still is)… The closest I got to seeing EVH was Eddie and Sammy were going up the escalator and I was going down at the Buffalo airport.. I did scream out like a little girl and said you guys rock!! :)

jackderby52

wow, you guys are throwing some impressive names out there... Not sure why but I didn't expect anybody to put up Jimi Hendrix. Wish I could have seen that one.. Led Zeppelin, and Stevie Ray Vaughan too...

E.C. and steppenwolf, been there/done that...

sloslunas

NM Blues
wow, you guys are throwing some impressive names out there... Not sure why but I didn't expect anybody to put up Jimi Hendrix. Wish I could have seen that one.. Led Zeppelin, and Stevie Ray Vaughan too...

E.C. and steppenwolf, been there/done that...
Fess up Jack...you went to see Justin Bieber on several occasions.

Steve

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've been to many over the years.
Never got to see Jimi or Janis.

As thought about the most entertaining and memorable I have a strange toss up for top spot.
James Brown
David Bowie

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Steve,
I saw JB in a very small venue.
Sat about 15 - 20 ft from James and the Flames.
Half the show was his entrance and exit the other half was actual performance, that's what made that so memorable.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Speaking of icons...I also saw BB King in his mid 40's...and mid fifties...and again in his mid sixties. A true professional from the get go. Really glad that I had to see him up close and personnel. That was one fine gentleman!

Steve

sloslunas

NM Blues
Hey Steve,
Half the show was his entrance and exit the other half was actual performance, that's what made that so memorable.
I would have killed to see James Brown live...a phenomenal performer and love all of his music. Where did you see him?

Steve

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Hey Steve,

For a moment, I thought you meant Justin Bieber... Forgive me.