More than one guitar?

Monty

Blues Newbie
What are peoples thoughts on playing more than one guitar, at least as a new player? My thoughts vacillate between sticking with one so as not to add another level of complexity while I learn to play the instrument, and playing a few of them so I develop the ability to adapt to various instruments.

Thoughts?

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Well they dont change much its your choice. No one here will tell you dont get lots of them.

Im partial to gibsons and now lately prs but lots of fine epiphones and ibanez and squires.

I lately really like the 24.5 scale length of prs se santanas but fenders with longer scale work just fine too ... playing guitar is not easy switching between guitars not something to worry about.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Say what?
insanity.jpg

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have been playing guitars for over 68 years. Personally, if I were just starting out on my guitar journey, I would stick to one instrument and not worry abut having one of each, like some forum members aspire to. Become use to that instrument, learn everything possible about technique, and what ever type of music you wish to play. Then when you are ready (and you will know when that is!) then search for that "perfect instrument", to play one specific song. One instrument for each song you play. The guitar manufacturers will love you.

Wait until you discover that different pickups, strings, frets, necks, amplifiers, pedals, and other parts can and will give you a distinct sound. Enjoy the ride. :)

As for me, I am my own boss. I could care about achieving that specific sound to emulate exactly what someone recorded or performed, for a particular piece of music. A famous flamenco guitarist I knew (Sabicas) told me that everyone should have his own sound. Do not think about attempting to sound like anyone else. Imagine what those words will have upon the electric guitar industry? Can you imagine? Lord, players could spend more time playing and not searching for that perfect sound, only available through pedals, amplifiers, etc. while twisting and turning knobs. Imagine all the fun you will loose if you stick with one guitar? ;) :cool::Beer:

Tom

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My 2 cents:
I think the major difference between instruments from a players is the neck and possibly the body size/shape.

Supposedly what makes a good or great player is practice, practice, practice, and with that comes muscle memory.
So, If you're early in your playing journey, I'd say pick a guitar that feels good in your hands and stick with it until you gain a reasonable degree of muscle memory on that instrument.
Moving to various other neck configurations, should be an extension of your learning not the elemental part.
I say, get good on one guitar then experiment over time.

Jay Dee

Blues addicted
I like to have several guitars to get out of a rut, sometimes a little change can be inspiring.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
HI Monty, you've been getting good advice above. I've played guitar for about 60 years; started out with a student guitar, eventually had 8, found that I only played two with any kind of regularity so got rid of the others. I've still got one of those and still play it (the '72 Maton). A few years ago I got the Epiphone DOT in my photo because I really, really needed to have a decent electric that I would be happy to play every day for the rest of my life.
There is no additional level of complexity to playing more than one guitar - they're all the same fundamental instrument, and you can only play one at a time.
I'd say that if you are NOT happy with the guitar that you've got, get a better one; but think carefully about what "better" means to YOU (Not somebody else). If you're happy with the one you've got, stick with it.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
You should most definitely stick to just one. Only one. No more. Definitely don't get 27. They all won't fit in the closet.

I played for years and only had 2, 1 steel string and 1 classical. Years later I got my first electric. Now they all won't fit in the closet. However, I still play the same 3 or 4 most of the time. Like Hangnman said, a little change can sometimes be inspiring.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Monty
Great question... how many guitars do you need? my wife asks... I always respond the same way... ONE MORE! LOL

I went for many years with only one guitar but sooner or later you will likely get GAS [Gear Acquisition Syndrome] and then will require as many as possible.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
You should most definitely stick to just one. Only one. No more. Definitely don't get 27. They all won't fit in the closet.

I played for years and only had 2, 1 steel string and 1 classical. Years later I got my first electric. Now they all won't fit in the closet. However, I still play the same 3 or 4 most of the time. Like Hangnman said, a little change can sometimes be inspiring.
I completely agree with @snarf on this one. My earlier posted picture does not represent my opinion to newer players. For a new player, half a dozen is good. Maybe a few more.

I sometimes find that just picking up a different guitar makes me see things in a different light. I have no argument against learning with just one guitar... but I also have no argument in its favor.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Tom has a good recommendation. Play what you have (and hopefully it of the varietal for the music you play). Find your own tone! You will know when you are ready to look for different instruments. And learn about the different amplifiers as well. Amplifiers are ever bit as important for you tone as your guitars. And then we can talk about the never ending signal processing effects pedals later. The best recommendation I can give you as a starting point is look at what the musicians play for the kind of music and tone you like. If you like Peter Frampton? Don't buy a Tele buy a Les Paul! If you like SRV? Buy a Strat! If you like Clapton? What era? His recent work? buy a strat. His Cream work? Buy an SG. But his red 335 is also very important in his music evolution. Texas Blues? A Fender. Chicago Blues? A Gibson.... There are exceptions.

Anyway, we are not professional musicians that need to have a certain quiver of guitars for when we get the call for a Les Paul sound, or a 335 sound, or a Tele sound, or a Strat sound, or a Rickenbacker sound..... you get my point. Having said that I just don't feel right playing Hendrix on a Les Paul. I need a Strat!! (but my Firebird ceramic mini humbucker pups work great too!!) Anyway, I also believe that it's important to be able to pick up any guitar and play it! Regardless of the size, shape, body, neck, pups and all of the different variances you might find. Sometimes when I pick up a new guitar it just feels strange and I feel strange playing it. So I need to play that guitar until it feels right..........

Shodai

Blues Junior
What is "one guitar"? I don't think I'm familiar with that concept.

Seriously, though, play what you have. Tab Banoit had been playing the same old '72 telecasters for decades, and seems pretty happy about it.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Oh boy, Mountain Man mentioned Clapton's Red 335 from the Cream days. My one really serious regret is that I didn't grab a 335 in '69 or '70 when they were dirt cheap because Gibsons were being shunned in favour of Strats. Ah, the folly of youth!!

Rad

Blues Newbie
Different take. I find having more than one guitar for a practice session at home is motivating. I play one for a while, put it down and pick up something completely different and it is re-energizing for me. I practice better and longer with multiple guitars.

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
I'm still fairly new. Four years ago in September, I got a Dean Zelinsky Tagliare (pictured at left). I learned on only that for nearly three years, until last July I added a Taylor 114e acoustic. I'm still not as comfortable on the acoustic as I am on the electric. I think that struggling with the two different feels right from the beginning would have just added to the initial difficulty of learning the basics, but I'll never know. I might have just gotten comfortable with both of them instead of my current situation of feeling pretty good on the electric and kinda fighting the acoustic.