Monoprice (Stage Right) Upgrade

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Though I love my little Stage Right amp (15w), I've never been fond of the Celestion 70/80 speaker. I think it's too "ice-picky" and has a muddy bottom end when pushed.

Sooo...

I decided to pull the 70/80 and I swapped it out with an Eminence Cannabis Rex.

What a difference!
Much more mellow, a tight bottom end (who doesn't love that?;)), smooth mids and most importantly - no more ice pick!

The 90 bucks it cost me was money well spent.

I love it when a plan comes together! :thumbup:

Elwood

Blues
Right on! My Rajin Cajun is a keeper too! When it was new I played bass through it very carefully for a while, it loosened up nicely. Now it is in my second amp, it transformed both. Like you said, very tight low end and takes what else you throw at it with grace and ease. The highs are not harsh unless you want 'em to be.

Congrats!!!

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I've read lots of good reviews about the Cannabis Rex... If I ever get mine off the 1 watt setting, and turned past 3, I might actually be able to tell the difference between speakers. Nice upgrade and thanks for the review!

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I've read lots of good reviews about the Cannabis Rex... If I ever get mine off the 1 watt setting, and turned past 3, I might actually be able to tell the difference between speakers. Nice upgrade and thanks for the review!

See, that's what I like about this speaker.

I mostly have the amp set to 1 watt and I noodle with it in my den.
The 70/80 was great at that level when played clean - very chimey and clear, but when I threw some dirt in it became muddy.

The Cannabis Rex however, sounds beautiful both ways. That's the first thing I noticed - that it handled low volume dirt very well and of course when I crank it up it stays solid and the ice pick is gone. In fact, I actually turned up the mids and the treble which is something I never did with the 70/80 and now the amp has a nice balanced sound.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
In case you didn't know, there is a Facebook group dedicated to discussion of those amps. The cannibus rex seems to be one of the leading contenders for a speaker swap. I see lots of feedback similar to yours