Modelers

Barred

Blues Newbie
im new to bgu, and have been hacking at guitar since i was a young man. i learned many songs, but felt i knew very little about playing guitar.
my most common practice time was/is while watching sports out of the corner of my eye, sitting on the couch or chair with a solid body unplugged or a semi hollow if im feeling roudy......so my ear for tone is nonexistant,
i own several amps,all modelers that were going to change my life,...didnt happen.
id like to start a thread for those who play through modelers, perhaps through head phones.
i hope some folks with similar interests will join in to discuss things like how you use your backing tracks, favorite modeling effects. how or if you've developed a tone, or your favorite course in Bgu.
Perhaps i can lead off by saying that I have a Fender Mustang, a Yamaha Fh10, and the new Spark amp, all have plenty of knobs, they obviously change the tone in some cases, not so obviously in others.
Does anyone have similar style equipment?
Want to share what you know?
Have tones you like?
oh, and is there an existing thread similar to this? i'd be happy to join in there instead.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Hi Barred, welcome to the Clan. I'm glad you joined us.
Much like yourself, I mostly practice unplugged. I have about a half dozen tube amps that rarely get used.
I also have a Yamaha Thr-10 and a Fender G-DEC. The Yamaha is my default computer speaker. and the G-DEC is my default metronome. They both serve more often than not as tuners.
When I do Griff's lessons, I play the DVDs through the desk top computer to the Thr-10. Then I plug my guitar into the Thr-10 and get both through my headphones. The Thr-10 has separate volume for instrument and aux. input so I can get a decent mix of lesson and guitar.
I seldom feel rowdy...;)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Welcome Barred, enjoy the journey! I, too have a spark and an eleven rack, probably even have an old POD around here somewhere

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Welcome to the forum Barred. Go down to the gear section for amp discussions etc. I mostly practice through a Mustang I that is always in the Twin Reverb setting. I use tube amps for everything else.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Welcome aboard Barred. As Tommy says, the Gear section is the place to go to get into that minefield.;) Have fun.(y)

Barred

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the warm reception, I’ll head over to the gear section so as not to dilute the conversation, see how that goes.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Good to have you with us. I'm sure you will find plenty of suggestions over in the Gear section.

artyman

Fareham UK
Hi and welcome from one of the UK mob, I have a Fender Mustang III and a Boss Katana 50 Mk1, both excellent amps with a variety of sounds available. If you want to try out your skills and tones take a wander down to the Virtual Jam Room and join a bunch of us who hang out in there.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the group! I have a Fender G-DEC and a Spark, along with some tube amps. Both let me quickly grab the right preset so I can change between songs and genres without having to mess with any individual settings. The Spark probably gets used the most these days for practice since I can plug in my headphones and practice without annoying the family.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Welcome!

I appreciate your form of practice, as I've done that for a lot of my life.

I think chasing tone can be a HUGE time suck, but if you can identify some basic tones that you like from artists you enjoy as a starting point, combined with the guitars you have... well it might be easier.

Biggest tone aha moment for me was EQ. I started with a cheap old DOD pedal and my Fender Concert amp. Scalability in terms of volume was a real issue for me. Many years later I found the Mesa Mark V:35 which finally got me to where I really liked my tone regardless of volume.

I'm cautiously reentering the modelling arena, with the QC. All the options, can lead to a rabbit hole... but at this point in my life I'm looking at reasonably specific tones. So I'm hoping it will be easier.

Wish you all the best on your journey, and look forward to seeing your posts on the forums.