Mode question

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Let's say i'm in G. If I play A Dorian with root on 6th string , how do I get A Dorian other places on the neck with out moving to the 17th fret or am I moving to other modes at that point even though the notes are the same.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Go to any G Major (Ionian) pattern and start from A. :)

Or go to any of the Standard 2 Octave Patterns Griff teaches in Modes Unleashed and start any one of them from A.

A Dorian right-facaing from the 5th string root is the E Aeolian pattern from the 6th string root.

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

Go to any G Major (Ionian) pattern and start from A. :)

Or go to any of the Standard 2 Octave Patterns Griff teaches in Modes Unleashed and start any one of them from A.

A Dorian right-facaing from the 5th string root is the E Aeolian pattern from the 6th string root.
I read my post after reading yours. I meant A on 6th string

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
A Dorian from the 6th string root (lowest note) is the Standard 2 Octave Pattern.

Griff teaches 5 patterns. They all have the same notes - F# G A B C D E

Each pattern is named from the 6th string root.

Locrian (F#) / Ionian (G) - Dorian (A) - Phrygian (B) / Lydian(C) - Mixolydian (D) - Aeolian (E)

But you don't have to start from the lowest 6th string note.

Just like pentatonic boxes that are both G Major and E minor.

Except now you have 7 notes you can start on, instead of just 2.

Play from A to A in any of the 5 patterns and you are playing an A Dorian scale.

The 5 patterns and all the notes remain the same.

Each pattern is a pattern for all 7 modes.

You simply choose a different note in any pattern to be the root.

Mr.Scary

A Dorian from the 6th string root (lowest note) is the Standard 2 Octave Pattern.

Griff teaches 5 patterns. They all have the same notes - F# G A B C D E

Each pattern is named from the 6th string root.

Locrian (F#) / Ionian (G) - Dorian (A) - Phrygian (B) / Lydian(C) - Mixolydian (D) - Aeolian (E)

But you don't have to start from the lowest 6th string note.

Just like pentatonic boxes that are both G Major and E minor.

Except now you have 7 notes you can start on, instead of just 2.

Play from A to A in any of the 5 patterns and you are playing an A Dorian scale.

The 5 patterns and all the notes remain the same.

Each pattern is a pattern for all 7 modes.

You simply choose a different note in any pattern to be the root.
Thx

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Here's a quick demo that you may, or may not, find useful.

In summary: A Dorian

6th string root: Right-facing - Dorian Pattern : Left-facing - Ionian Pattern
5th string root: Right-facing - Aeolian Pattern : Left-facing - Mixolydian Pattern
4th string root: Right-facing - Phrygian/Lydian Pattern : Left-facing - Dorian Pattern

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/sfvwnckol0xnlep/Modes.mp4?dl=0

Oops! @ 6:21 I meant Dorian, not Aeolian :)

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

Here's a quick demo that you may, or may not, find useful.

In summary: A Dorian

6th string root: Right-facing - Dorian Pattern : Left-facing - Ionian Pattern
5th string root: Right-facing - Aeolian Pattern : Left-facing - Mixolydian Pattern
4th string root: Right-facing - Phrygian/Lydian Pattern : Left-facing - Dorian Pattern

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/sfvwnckol0xnlep/Modes.mp4?dl=0

Oops! @ 6:21 I meant Dorian, not Aeolian :)
Good Explanation. I guess I'll have to rewatch some of Griff's videos cause I missed something a long the way or maybe I just wasn't ready for modes yet but your video explained what I wasn't getting.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Keep in mind that so far this is all academic.....until you have a chord progression to play over.

Then the chords will determine what mode you're in.

Then the fact that each "box" has 6 other relative modes in it will be irrelevant.

That is, until you have a different progression in a different mode. :)

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

Thought I'd revisit the modes Unleashed. After 2 yrs it makes more sense to me. Don't know what I picked up along the way but I think I actually understand it now.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Thought I'd revisit the modes Unleashed. After 2 yrs it makes more sense to me. Don't know what I picked up along the way but I think I actually understand it now.
I've been working on the modes course lately also. This is my 2nd time through it as well. It's great to play it better than I did before in spite of a lengthy break I took. I understand things much better then before but there is a lot to know about how to figure out which mode to use and why. Especially when you take it farther and do some modal chord chasing.... :Beer:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
A couple things to note in the neck diagram @Jack posted.

If you circled all the G notes instead of the A's the title would be "G Major Scale" or "G Ionian Scale" and below "formula 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 with notes G A B C D E F#". Same notes.

Circle all the B's, "B Phrygian Scale", formula 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 with notes B C D E F# G A. Same notes.

All the C's, "C Lydian Scale", formula 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 with notes C D E F# G A B. Same notes.

Etc.

Once you know any G Major scale patterns you can use those exact same patterns for each of its modes.

If you purchased a book on scales you'd find several pages of neck diagrams with the exact same notes in the exact same patterns but with different notes circled as the root.

Also, the diagram without the B's and F#'s would be titled "A Minor Pentatonic Scale", formula 1 b3 4 5 b7 with notes A C D E G.

And with the C's circled "C Major Pentatonic Scale", formula 1 2 3 5 6 with notes C D E G A.

Which again would be more pages of the same thing but with different notes circled.

No need to purchase a book once you know your scale (or chord) formulas.

Last edited: