Mike's 31-5 Playing On The Porch

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I took a little license with the ending. Presumptuous as it may have been of me, I didn't like the way Griff's bar 12 sounded, so I did a little walk down. I liked it better.

[media]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26911731/BGU/31-5%20Playing%20On%20The%20Porch.mp3[/media]

This finishes up BGU for me.
Mixed feelings:
- Sad that it took me so long
- Sad that it's over
- Sad that I still don't have all 5 boxes down
- Sad that I haven't learned the notes on the neck.

Really kinda proud of myself for completing the course and I'm really loving the solos that I've learned, but even more I'm loving that I can now play a solo when someone plays a blues progression (as long as it's not too fast).

BGU has really been a fun trip.
Griff, if you read this, I want you to know how much I appreciate all the work that you've put into the course and the forum. If not for you, I would probably have picked up the guitar again and after a month put it back down. I can't thank you enough.
To my Forum friends; I really believe that this forum is a vital piece of the puzzle. I'd like to thank Chuck, Johnc  and Dave(akaBluewater) for all their patience and support when I first joined and all the rest of you that, since then, have made this a fun and informative place to hang out.

Hmm, I feel like someone should be handing me a Grammy about now.....

What's next???
Well I thought I'd get back into the BGU Bonus Material and switch off between that, PSTM and SWS.
Lots more fun ahead!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I thought I'd play around with this so in addition to a bass line (additional track) I added a walk down after the A7 double stops.

I guess I wasn't quite ready to start something new just yet.

[media]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26911731/BGU/31-5%20Playing%20On%20The%20Porch-v2.mp3[/media]

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
Nothing at all wrong with taking a little artistic license.  [smiley=beer.gif] Someone give the man his diploma!

Good job Mike  :)

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Welcome fellow graduate!  Great job!  :cool:

(those two media tagged urls play pretty close synchronized together - kinda cool ;-))

johnc

systematic
Well Mike, I'm a bit late as usual catching up but listening to you play now certainly puts a smile on my face.  I remember you first joining up and had doubts in yourself because you said that you had only strummed chords.  I have listened to a lot of great guitar playing from your recordings and feel from your progress over the last couple of years or so you are becoming the player now and yeah always work to do but you should be very proud of yourself.
You have posted helpful videos showing playing methods for Brown Sugar and La Grange plus lessons I recall and I could see and hear that you were going well.

[smiley=beer.gif]Well here's to you for getting this far and look forward to hearing and seeing more.  It's a great journey.

Lefty Jeff

A little blues rosetta
Hi Mike - congrats on completing BGU!!  Quite an accomplishment. 

Just curious - how long did it take you to complete?  I just started five days ago, so my journey is just beginning.

I've listened to some of your recordings, and you are an excellent guitar player.  Congratulations again!

-=Jeff

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks Jeff,
How long did it take? Well that's hard to say because of a few things.
1) I'm retired so I can spend hours playing.
2) I Have several courses from Griff, so I didn't focus solely on BGU
3) I'm in a band and I spend a lot of time learning & practicing songs.
4) I'm lazy and unfocused
5) I took a 6 month break from BGU (see #4)
Having said all that, I got BGU about two years ago.
So, depending on your current skill level, I'd say expect it to take no less than a year and maybe as much as two years.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
It's all in your hands.If you get off track for a while (as I did) just jump back in when you are ready. One thing tht has kept me focused, is to stay connected to and involved in this forum.