Mike Zito reinforces a few “Griff” things

EJG

Central NJ
I caught a Zoom TrueFire lesson with Mike Zito tonight. He talked a lot about using “little chords” for rhythm and using the major scale over the I and the minor over the IV and V. Now where have I heard those things before?

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I caught a Zoom TrueFire lesson with Mike Zito tonight. He talked a lot about using “little chords” for rhythm and using the major scale over the I and the minor over the IV and V. Now where have I heard those things before?

It may serve to reinforce what Griff teaches but to be fair that's all pretty fundamental stuff that guitarists have been doing for decades.

Reactions: EJG

EJG

Central NJ
It may serve to reinforce what Griff teaches but to be fair that's all pretty fundamental stuff that guitarists have been doing for decades.
Yeah - I just thought it was cool to hear it from Zito. I know that when I taught and had guest speakers, it was always rewarding when the speaker independently said things I had already told the students. It kinda reinforces the importance of those points.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Yeah - I just thought it was cool to hear it from Zito. I know that when I taught and had guest speakers, it was always rewarding when the speaker independently said things I had already told the students. It kinda reinforces the importance of those points.

In all endeavors there are fundamentals that always ring true.

Things can go astray from time to time but as long as one understands the fundamentals of whatever it is they're doing, one always has a place to return to when things go sideways.

I like to think of fundamentals as an index point very much akin to "factory settings". When I get too "creative" for my own good, I can return to those basic settings and start again.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have been listening to a lot of Mike Zito lately and have always loved his playing. I didn't realized he was doing anything on TrueFire, so thanks for the heads up!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have been listening to a lot of Mike Zito lately and have always loved his playing. I didn't realized he was doing anything on TrueFire, so thanks for the heads up!
I have some of his really old stuff. He's quite a character. Here's one of my favorites of his, probably close to 20 years old. It could have been my life story when I was young, stupid and single.
Now, I'm old, no wiser and married.

Last edited:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
In 1968 I was young stupid and single. In 1974 I was married. The other aspects progressed slowly. Not so young anymore And hopefully not so stupid.