Mic Placement

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi @Griff
Just watched the replay and one thing that I'm surprised no one asked about is hanging a 57 vs a mic stand.
Based on what I heard during the replay, it sounds like I would/should NEVER want to hang one in front of the speaker, but I see that all the time. I understand that the e609 is a same but different animal.
Comments???

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Hanging a 57 makes it VERY off axis - maybe that's what you want and maybe not.

It will darken the mic's response a lot because of the off axis placement, but it's not that susceptible to outside sounds because it's dynamic and not as sensitive in nature.

The e609 is designed in the capsule so that the element is on axis when it's hung in front of an amp - it's designed to go that way.

As another "odd duck," the Tul G12 is designed to go dead center in front of the dust cap - something you "just don't do" normally. But it's designed that way and it's pretty dark if you don't.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hanging a 57 makes it VERY off axis - maybe that's what you want and maybe not.

It will darken the mic's response a lot because of the off axis placement, but it's not that susceptible to outside sounds because it's dynamic and not as sensitive in nature.

The e609 is designed in the capsule so that the element is on axis when it's hung in front of an amp - it's designed to go that way.

As another "odd duck," the Tul G12 is designed to go dead center in front of the dust cap - something you "just don't do" normally. But it's designed that way and it's pretty dark if you don't.

Now that makes sense. I thought the SM57 sounded a bit too bright in your demo, but haven't noticed a "problem" when hanging it in front of the amp. now I know why.
Thanks Griff.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Now that makes sense. I thought the SM57 sounded a bit too bright in your demo, but haven't noticed a "problem" when hanging it in front of the amp. now I know why.
Thanks Griff.
That brightness is why I generally don't use a 57 unless it's pretty far off the dust cap towards the edge and I often angle it off-axis.

A lot of people, however, LOVE that sizzle from the mix, and in a dense mix, it can help the guitar be heard over the band.