Mic Comparisons

Elwood

Blues
Maybe my ears aren't all that dumb. I do like my AKG P-220! Disappointed I don't see the Senn e-845 in their list but I'll check back now and then.

Great info Moto, Thanks!!!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Maybe my ears aren't all that dumb. I do like my AKG P-220! Disappointed I don't see the Senn e-845 in their list but I'll check back now and then.

Great info Moto, Thanks!!!
The E845 is pretty flat in the mid range.
If you're interested, just check out others on the Audio Test Kitchen site to see how it compares.

Personally., I like Super Cardioids in the home studio because the rear rejection can be helpful controlling extraneous noise from HVAC and other annoyances in a typical home environment.
Low cut on a mic is also helpful for other ambient rumble like traffic noise and other low end problems in a home studio.
preview.jpg

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have a good collection of microphones, and my favorites are my Rode NT1A's.

Rode NT1A.jpg

I remember when I bought my first one, and shortly after we returned to the same store, and Katy insisted that I purchase a second one. Never argue with your wife! (y):) Now, we are a two Rode family! :cool:

Tom

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I like the NT1A also. It's one of the only mics I deliberately acquired, along with a stereo pair of Oktava 012's. The rest were cast offs from local musicians. A retiring drummer sold me some SM 57s and 58s. An AKG 3000B came from someone who was upgrading and was my goto until I bought the Rode. Now its usually the NT1A unless I need to reject off axis sound sources. Then I use the Shures which sound good on almost anything.

Elwood

Blues
Freq response looks pretty close on paper... my purchase price response is a bit better on the AKG. I am sure the Rode is awesome! AKG seems like a real nice mic and the variable patterns actually come in handy if I use my imagination.
It is great to see the curves taken under controlled conditions. Then you can plot your own, and figure out where hardware, finances, and talent converge. :Beer: I probably won't need any more mics. :D

upload_2021-12-3_7-28-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-3_7-26-41.png
    upload_2021-12-3_7-26-41.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1