Method used to learn 4 note sequence leads

R

RichC

How do you learn the leads in this course.
Do you just learn it slowly bar by bar eventually memorizing them and putting the bars together as best you can; then move on to the next solo. Or do you identify and learn each 4 note sequence of notes (in the more advanced solos)then move on to and identify the next 4 note sequence on other sets of strings recognizing the notes and shapes involved? Or take it a step further and once you have it down tronspose it to other keys and use it with different backing tracks etc. What say you.

Thanks for taking the time

Rich C

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
I've only learned the first solo in SWS and it was one bar at a time..the later lessons cover the same solo in different areas of the neck.
The second solo moves the notes all over the fretboard during the same solo..pretty cool.
That's as far as I got in SWS ....I haven't memorized all of SWS solo 2 yet..but it'll be bar by bar when I do.
I'm trying to get BGU solo 5 together but the motivation to really work on it hard isn't quite there yet for me.

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
How do you learn the leads in this course.
Do you just learn it slowly bar by bar eventually memorizing them and putting the bars together as best you can; then move on to the next solo. Or do you identify and learn each 4 note sequence of notes (in the more advanced solos)then move on to and identify the next 4 note sequence on other sets of strings recognizing the notes and shapes involved? Or take it a step further and once you have it down tronspose it to other keys and use it with different backing tracks etc. What say you.

Thanks for taking the time

Rich C

All of the above.  I don't try to learn the whole thing at first, my memory isn't that great and unlike EC, I can't wing it through with 1 take.   I work my way through each lick and slowly practice putting them together until I get up to speed and then start on the next lick, etc.  You can play any of these solos over a different key by starting in the appropriate position.  I'm on solo 3 now and this is where you start tying the notes on various parts of the neck together.  Solo 3 is way too fast for me to learn at full speed, I've got a hard enough time at that tempo with lots and lots of practice.  I use Riffmaster Pro to slow it down and loop the parts I'm trying to learn, first by looping Griff's demo and more importantly, looping the backtrack so I can hear the beat and chord changes.  I spend most of my time looping the backtrack and slowly increasing the speed.  Right now, I'm trying to get the last 3 measures of solo 3 up to speed--without making mistakes in the first 46 measures.  And that takes a lot of effort as I can screw anything up at any given time when it comes to playing. 

Spencer

Blues Newbie
I do learn it bar by bar, but even before I get it memorized I'll pick out a couple tough licks that I know will take time and memorize those and use them for my "TV Practice" time.

R

RichC

KGARKE; Same here I find # 3 challanging especially the last dozen bars or so. Learning it the same way you are. I like Spencers idea of practicing what you basically have down in front of the tv  for muscle memory retention.

Thanks

Rich C

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
All great suggestions, and I'm going to add one more -

Listen to the recording of the solo you are working on when you're doing other things. You could be in the car or doing chores or anything. Listen to it as if it's your favorite song for a while. It's amazing how much that will help the learning curve.

Griff

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Listen to the recording of the solo you are working on when you're doing other things. You could be in the car or doing chores or anything. Listen to it as if it's your favorite song for a while. It's amazing how much that will help the learning curve.

Griff
This is one of Griff's BEST tips!  I have really been doing this with the last few solos and Johnny B. Goode and it's amazing!

It's like installing a program in your head to guide you!  When I sit down to practice, I hear the notes in my head before I play them and it all flows so much easier!

:cool:

JohnF

Blues Junior
To learn these songs or any, I record them on CD so I can play them in the car. I also have practice playlists on my iPod. I need to know how a song goes before I can learn the notes.

eastcoastguy

Blues Newbie
Something that works well for me with SWS is to learn a couple of licks and then after I get frustrated enough , I put on a few jam tracks on random play and use those licks throughout the tracks in different keys and tempos . I've been working hard on solo 2 and  find that using these licks up and down the neck on other tracks has made me much more aware of the root notes on the guitar and am more fluid in moving from block to block . Nobody in the band questions what the hell I'm doing .

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
Solo #1 only uses 2 notes, so once you get the melody in your head you can pretty much play it w/o looking. But I am still in the looking stage bec. that's how I roll. I don't want to look at my hands cause that seems to slow me down.

Just wish I could get those darn pull-offs!

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Solo #1 only uses 2 notes, so once you get the melody in your head you can pretty much play it w/o looking. But I am still in the looking stage bec. that's how I roll. I don't want to look at my hands cause that seems to slow me down.

hmmmmm.... What solo 1 are you talking about?? The Solo 1 in my book has 4 notes (5 including the bend), and there's really only 1 pull off and it's at the very end.

L

Lame_Pinkey

hmmmmm.... What solo 1 are you talking about?? The Solo 1 in my book has 4 notes (5 including the bend), and there's really only 1 pull off and it's at the very end.
Lesson 5 Solo 1 - Funk Blues in G has 3 pull offs &  8 hammer ons  ;)

LP

Spencer

Blues Newbie
8 hammer ons? Where?? If you include the tweedly's (which I didn't for the pull offs, but you could) I get 7, and if you include the grace note hammer on's I get 9. Am I missing one or adding an extra one?

oh, and who brought up the amount of hammer-ons?  :)

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
...i was just talking about hammer ons in general, not specifically to solo #1. that is why i made it a separate paragraph.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Okay, I get confused pretty easy. Sorry! Just wanted to make sure I was on the same page as everyone.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]