Mere Mortal Version

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
I heard a rumor that Griff was considering a mere mortal version (2.0) of the BGIAB series - I think I heard it in the challenge section; not sure. Does anybody have any word on that?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I don't remember hearing that, but if he DOES a 2.0, and he follows past 2.0 patterns, it will be pretty much the same content, but better video, counting that will make it easier to set loops.... But NOT dumbed down.
That said... I AM a mere mortal and I've never learned a full GIAB song either.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Actually he did mention that, which would be similar to creating the "Major Minor Blues Shapes" course to make the material originally introduced in "Slow Blues Supplement" more "accessible".

Add that to the list of all the other things he’s mentioned he’s thinking about doing …. some day.

Last edited:

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
Actually he did mention that, which would be similar to creating the "Major Minor Blues Shapes" course to make the material originally introduced in "Slow Blues Supplement" more "accessible".

Add that to the list of all the other things he’s mentioned he’s thinking about doing …. some day.
Here's to hoping it goes higher on the list. Hahahaha. I'm still letting "I Believe" whoop my butt. But (wait for it....) "I Believe"! Lol. I crack myself up.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I'm working on one of the BGIAB2 songs and asked him some questions about it. While answering, he mentioned that he would like to eventually do a scaled version of those courses that would include an easy, mid, and boss level of each song. The current versions of those courses would be the boss level. So he would need to write the scaled down versions of them. It didn't sound like something that he was actively working on doing, but that it was something that might be on the counter next to the stove to be worked out eventually. Ping him and let him know you're interested because the more interest in the idea that is shown the quicker it would probably get moved over to the stove to get cooked.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I've managed to get "I can't sleep" to an almost acceptable level. But it's taken quite a bit of work... Having a couple of difficulty levels also adds to more variety in what you can play if you wanted to spin these up with a band. And of course it might give some intermediate levels of satisfaction.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Thank you all, for the comments, this is very helpful to me. After all, I make stuff for you, so your suggestions and requests are very much encouraged!

If I do an easy, intermediate, boss level version, it would make the current course extremely large... clearly much too large. So I might actually just do each song as its own release. That way, I don't have to wait until I've done all of them to make them available to you, and it allows folks to pick and choose which songs they want.

In the old days, with everything being 95% on DVD, it didn't make sense to release something small... nowadays, with most folks opting for digital, it makes far more sense to do small and less sense to do big...

I do have something I'm working on currently, but I'm getting close to wrapping it up. Perhaps I'll start on some of these next.

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
Thank you all, for the comments, this is very helpful to me. After all, I make stuff for you, so your suggestions and requests are very much encouraged!

If I do an easy, intermediate, boss level version, it would make the current course extremely large... clearly much too large. So I might actually just do each song as its own release. That way, I don't have to wait until I've done all of them to make them available to you, and it allows folks to pick and choose which songs they want.

In the old days, with everything being 95% on DVD, it didn't make sense to release something small... nowadays, with most folks opting for digital, it makes far more sense to do small and less sense to do big...

I do have something I'm working on currently, but I'm getting close to wrapping it up. Perhaps I'll start on some of these next.
Thanks for thinking of us. . It is really appreciated. That’s why BGU is the best.

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
The three levels per song and individual releases sounds brilliant ! Not that I am anywhere near boss level. I guess it would take another two or three years to get there, at least. Even if BGIAB is on sale at the moment, I‘d rather have easier versions first…

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I've managed to get "I can't sleep" to an almost acceptable level. But it's taken quite a bit of work... Having a couple of difficulty levels also adds to more variety in what you can play if you wanted to spin these up with a band. And of course it might give some intermediate levels of satisfaction.
Jerome…I’ve been trying to bring the solo of I Can’t Sleep up to speed for years. Good for you if you have conquered it.

GaryHancq216

Blues Newbie
I've been playing guitar since 1969 and consider myself an advanced level player and fromer teacher. I was mainly a rock and jazz rock fusion player for most of those years but my hands are starting to limit what I can do, I have always loved the blues but never properly learned Blues guitar. I've made a lot of headway (woodshedding the Beano album among others) and that is how I ended up here a couple of weeks ago.

I am struggling quite a bit with "I believe," there is nothing technically beyond my grasp but Griff's timing is totally alien to me. I also realized I never really counted any solo/melody lines to this extent, I usually go by feel. From what I can find on the forum others have the same struggles for the same reasons.

Can anyone offer input on the value of actually counting things out in such fine subdivisions and learning the songs exactly as Griff teaches them? It could be the missing link in my Blues playing but I suspect it will take considerable effort to unlearn my own decades long "feel and timing." When Griff does X my fingers naturally want to do Y and its very frustrating. As others have said these lessons seem to be "boss level" but is that Boss level actually a fundemental or a personal style of Griffs?

In a nutshell should I focus on truly nailing these lessons down to the "and a" level?

PS: I've already learned a bunch of really cool stuff.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
In a nutshell should I focus on truly nailing these lessons down to the "and a" level?
It depends on what your goals are. I would (and do my best to) learn them verbatim. Once I've done that, I tend to slide things around, mainly in the interest of making some of the licks fit in places where they might not if you stick to the rigid notated timing.

You have to answer the question for yourself. Do you want "close enough," or "nailed it," to be your goal.

GaryHancq216

Blues Newbie
It depends on what your goals are. I would (and do my best to) learn them verbatim. Once I've done that, I tend to slide things around, mainly in the interest of making some of the licks fit in places where they might not if you stick to the rigid notated timing.

You have to answer the question for yourself. Do you want "close enough," or "nailed it," to be your goal.
Thanks for the reply, I've already twisted Exmp 4 for "I Believe" to use elsewhere so I'm with you there, like you I take new things and repurpose them.

Now that I'm getting serious about playing Blues I'd like to be able to get up on a jam night and play to anything which is what drew me to the course. My goal is to expand my Blues volcabulary, I've always played 12 bar blues in some form but it was always more rock orientated and I'm trying to become well rounded.

I may do a brief overiew of the other songs (I haven't even listened to the anything other than I believe yet, my OCD prefers doing things in order) and then come back and focus on the timing details as I suspect using the feel Griff teaches may be a game changer.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff has always said that counting is for people that NEED to count.
How do I know if I need to count?
If you don't KNOW that you don't, then you need to count.

That said, I've been playing since the 1960's. I have a tortuous time trying to count.
Do I NEED to? probably.
DO I do it? Only when I'm learning a piece and I'm having trouble getting the notes to start and end at the right time. Once I've got the piece down, there's no NEED to count that one any more.