March 2023 Challenge - Someplace, Anyplace?

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Well, @BraylonJennings and @glynnd playing those fine tunes so well made me want to take one more stab at this month. Keeping with the monthly challenge topic from @sloslunas here is my second try. This is the mini stumbling, with me howling along, supported by ol EZ3 on the drums. Arlo made it look so easy.......

City of New Orleans

Cheers :Beer:
Great song! Good version Elwood, I was a-fearin' a train wreck there at the end, but I remembered this is Elwood and the City of New Orleans, not the Ol' 97.:) Wish I could hear that Mini a bit better, I've been prowling the inner webs for those.

Elwood

Blues
Thanks for all the gracious comments and likes guys! :Beer::Beer::Beer: I got sick of trying to make a silk purse out of an old Arlo song (it sounds like a train wreck esp, the singing - didn't need to put one in :rolleyes:) and I just got worn out pushing sliders and hoping for a better outcome.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Wish I could hear that Mini a bit better, I've been prowling the inner webs for those.
Oh boy, you know what to say to get me talking. As I have always said, the mini is not for everyone. I love 'em but that doesn't mean you will. If you want to hear the mini here is a short tune from a couple of years ago. The Mini is doing the "call" and a tele on the neck is talking back. It's no secret that I'm a huge mini fan, it feels great, sounds great, and is just so much fun to play. I have used it in the VJR a few times.

I would look for a mini in mahogany or koa that was not the victim of the previous owner's "good ideas" to make it better. The only thing a stock mini need is the strings of your choice. My preference has changed. I long felt that it should wear 13s like it ships with. Now I like the "heavy bottom - light top" with something like 12-16-24 (or 26)-35-45-56. That keeps a full bottom end with plenty of sparkle on top.
Watch for fret wear under the skinny B and E strings in the 3-5 fret area on a used one. and be sure the electrics work.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Just got caught up with all the songs on here. Took me a while.:eek: Too many to comment on individually, but enjoyed them all. I never cease to be amazed at the talent on here, it was all on display this evening, harmonicas, brass, slide, sound effects, you name it we got it!!! Really well done everyone.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

DaveFromVA

In the basement.
The Place: The White Horse Inn in McDermitt, Nevada; which is a very small town. The Inn actually straddles the border between Nevada and Oregon. It was built in the early 1900s. When I passed through there in 2021 it was a very picturesque ruin.

The Rule Ignored: Not even close to a blues song, but it is poignant :)

The Instruments: Me on guitar, vocals and pedal steel. Thanks for giving me a reason to sit down and record it!

@MichaelCapella Really enjoyed that one! Nice arrangement!

@BraylonJennings diggin’ your version of Rockin’ In The Free World”

Last edited:

DaveFromVA

In the basement.
I have to admit, I don’t participate on this site as much as I’d like to, but I do lurk And embarrassingly, this was my first time listening to ALL the songs on the monthly topic…and now I’m inspired to post a song for April.

Well done, gents!