Major and minor questions

JohnCossano

Blues Newbie
1) How would you play the major or minor blues scale (in the boxes); such as A-minor box one and the relative C-major box one? When playing the A-minor I start on the 6th string and work from left to right! when playing the C-major should I be starting on 6th string and moving right to left? Or what is it that is different?

2) All the major scales use the pattern Root-W-W-H-W-W-W-H. If playing in the a minor scale would we use the minor pattern ( Minor root-W-H-W-W-W-H-W-W )to select the notes for a cord?

Any other useful help in understanding the difference between Minor VS major scales would be helpful.

Thank You
John in Issaquah

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
1) When playing A minor Box 1 your root, A, is on the 6th string at the 5th fret, usually played with your first finger.

The second note, C (b3) is on the 8th fret, usually played with your pinky.

For C Major you play the exact same pattern of notes, but your root is the C.

You have the same notes and pattern, just two different starting points.

For A minor, start from A. For C Major, start from C.

2) Yes you could select the minor notes for your chords the same way.

C Major: C D E F G A B C----->I chord = 1 3 5 = C E G, etc.

C Minor: C D Eb F G Ab Bb C-----> I chord = 1 b3 5 = C Eb G, etc.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Every Major scale has a "relative" minor scale which is the same notes, but a different root.

The minor root is the 6 of the Major.

C D E F G A B C

vice versa, the Major root is the b3 of the minor scale.

A B C D E F G A

i.e. it's all "relative".:)

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
When playing the A-minor I start on the 6th string and work from left to right! when playing the C-major should I be starting on 6th string and moving right to left?
Paleo has well answered but I wanted address specifically this sentence. You are correct, though, don’t forget you can start on the first string too.

When learning the relative scales it is best to always start and end your scale on the root note no matter which string you start on. This will start training your ear to hear the “tonal center” of the scale. That might not mean much at this point to you but some passive ear training now will pay dividends later on.

Eric

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Here's an exercise that may help

Play the chord in a progression.
Play a riff that sounds good with the chord
Repeat ad naseuam.

In doing so you will find what sounds good with what chord, what sounds bad, and most importantly what sounds best, be it major or minor.

As Jalepeno suggests start the riff by beginning and ending on the root of the chord. Theses are synonymous to periods when speaking.

As you develop avoid ending on the root note, use alternate notes like the 6th or the 9th. These are commas and suggest to the listener to hear what is coming, , , , , next

JohnCossano

Blues Newbie
Here's an exercise that may help

Play the chord in a progression.
Play a riff that sounds good with the chord
Repeat ad naseuam.

In doing so you will find what sounds good with what chord, what sounds bad, and most importantly what sounds best, be it major or minor.

As Jalepeno suggests start the riff by beginning and ending on the root of the chord. Theses are synonymous to periods when speaking.

As you develop avoid ending on the root note, use alternate notes like the 6th or the 9th. These are commas and suggest to the listener to hear what is coming, , , , , next

JohnCossano

Blues Newbie
Paleo has well answered but I wanted address specifically this sentence. You are correct, though, don’t forget you can start on the first string too.

When learning the relative scales it is best to always start and end your scale on the root note no matter which string you start on. This will start training your ear to hear the “tonal center” of the scale. That might not mean much at this point to you but some passive ear training now will pay dividends later on.

Eric
Thanks that is good info.