Loops again

Alan H

Blues Newbie
Hey Griff,
Awhile back there was a post requesting a possible forum regarding loops and their creation. I've got the same RC-3 you have and I watch you knock out a decent useable loop in a matter of seconds. For me it isn't that easy to create a decent enough practice loop (song) and possibly SAVE it for future use if it's really decent. Adding layers to the loop is another issue. Maybe it's Something to consider for a future Gear forum?
Thanks,
Alan H

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Have you checked out the"Gear" archives for 3-26-19, "Looper Tips"?

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
I've got the same RC-3
Me too, seems like a good one. The RC-3 manual is actually real good with instruction regarding the storage locations, and recording to overdub or add layers. It also shows you how to alter the record play sequence. I just typed "RC-3 looper instruction videos" into google and got a wealth of hits, check that out too.

The tricky part (for me at least) is the timing and technique to make smooth loops. That is where Griff's tips shine!!! He doesn't go into the particulars of the RC-3 in depth (tons of stuff to cover there and not everyone has an RC-3) but he does a great job of showing how to time your start / stop events to make a smooth loop. At least for me it takes lots of practice to get it at first, and a little bit of practice if I don't use if for a while, I must not have that skill well imprinted yet.

Aside from the manual and the videos I have one other suggestion. Use it every time you play electric. Just get used to it. Once you figure out how to get one track down you can use the onboard RC-3 drummer, put down one track, and mess around jamming over your own self. Make tons of mistakes and you will figure out what is causing them. That was the only way I was able to "break the ice" with my RC-3. Hope some of this helps you, I think the looper is a fun gizmo to play with!

Alan H

Blues Newbie
I'll keep trying. Like you I've found it frustrating getting the thing to do what I want. I do understand from Griff's video that the counting part is the key. That and playing thru the end of the loop.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Ditto on MikeS comment and Griff mentioned this in some video I don't know where: End at the Beginning. IE stop the loop while hitting the 1st beat of the chord at the beginning of the loop. This goes a long way to making the loop smooth

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Ditto on MikeS comment and Griff mentioned this in some video I don't know where: End at the Beginning. IE stop the loop while hitting the 1st beat of the chord at the beginning of the loop. This goes a long way to making the loop smooth

Play before the down beat and hit the looper on the down beat to start and hit it again to stop on the down beat after the loop.