Looper Question for Griff

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hey @Griff I missed your live looper session, but you demoed playing bass (tore down) into the looper, then playing chords into it.
If you did that in a live situation, would you just let the chords go on as you sang then, after the solo, play chords as if you were a second guitarist?
I'm in the middle of watching the video, so if you answer the next question later in the video, just consider this signa and go to coda...

If you WANTED to play Tore Down live using a looper...
1) would you? and
2)if you would, then how do you handle the stops?

Coda
Thanks.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
If I was playing that tune solo, with a looper, I'd probably try something like this (try being the operative word here... I've never actually done this)

1-Play the bass line into the looper from the top for the 12 bars
2-At the top of the 2nd pass, the looper takes over the bass, you play the chords and record those onto the 2nd layer

For the first set of stops, it's not a long I, so just don't do the stops and let the loop continue through, unless you have a way to mute the output of the looper for 4 bars (that could be interesting...)

For the solos, just play solos. I'd then just let the chords go on and play fills between vocal lines as the remaining verses happen.

Again, never done it, could be fun to try, though. More fancy loopers might have the ability to do alternate loops or mute the output while still playing... I don't know.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Adding to Griff's response... there are some loopers, such as the Pigtronix Infinity that can run two loops in series allowing you to construct both verse and chorus type options. Not that I have any experience in setting something like that up yet.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Adding to Griff's response... there are some loopers, such as the Pigtronix Infinity that can run two loops in series allowing you to construct both verse and chorus type options. Not that I have any experience in setting something like that up yet.
Yeah, I have a Jamman that does that, but it just seems like there would be WAY too much thinking involved for this little pea brain. I always think back to Griff's comment the went something like: Your brain can only keep track of a finite number of things which include breathing, felling the floor under your feet... and adding one more thing to think about while trying to play seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
I have a Ditto that I use for some practice sessions, so ideally I'd use that.