LOOPER HUNTING

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Thinking about getting a looper and was looking for opinions from the cognoscenti. Mainly looking for something to lay down some rhythm and then solo over and then maybe record that for critique and/or posting here eventually. Not looking for anything overly complicated. I did view Griff's AAP session on Loopers from 2019.

What would you consider minimal loop time?

Is USB connectivity important?

Are there other features that are desirable? Like 1/2 speed and reverse?

Some loopers have drums too. Is that a desirable?

Thanks.

artyman

Fareham UK
I have a Nux Loop Core, it has the capability to record up to 99 tracks, you can download WAV files to it using the USB socket, so I originally used it as a device for my backing tracks, apart from it's main function. It also has 6 hours of record time which is way more than most pedal, also 40 drum rhythms. One of my best pedal purchases. There are some Youtube videos of it.

dwparker

Bluesologist
I have a Boss RC-3, which is a pretty indutry standard looper. It has comparable functionality to the nux looper mentioned above. It's functionality is enhanced with an external foot switch to avoid double tapping. I favor Boss pedals because they are built like tanks.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I'm still using my old RC-20 xl that I got back in like 2003. Actually looking to replace it with something newer. Not because it doesn't still do the trick nicely, but because the newer tech does the trick a little more nicely (and they're smaller). At the moment, I'm not interested in USB connectivity or something that will add drums or bass. I've tired some of those loopers, and I just never gelled with them. I also don't feel like I need something that will store loops or jam tracks as my practice with a looper is usually a one and done thing even if it has multiple layers to it. That also means that I don't need one of those loopers that I thought I used to need with hours and hours of record time since my loops are usually less than 30 seconds, and, even if I layer over it several times, would come out to less than a few minutes of actual record time. If it's something I want to save, I'll just run it to my laptop or multi-track and record it real quick. I'm currently looking at that new MXR Clone Looper. It looks like it's intuitive enough that I'll be able to do everything that I want with it, and it has 2-button operation, which is something I very much prefer to the ones with one button.

YMMV depending on your want/need, but here's a link to the MXR Clone Looper

dwparker

Bluesologist
But not as long a recording time!
No, it has like half of the nux.

I guess a lot of it depends on how one is planning on using the looper. It it just for practice, does one want to have backing tracks on it, are you goung to use it live, etc. I'd personally determine that first, then look for something that fills the criteria.

ronico

rainyislandblues
I have a Boss RC-3, which is a pretty indutry standard looper. It has comparable functionality to the nux looper mentioned above. It's functionality is enhanced with an external foot switch to avoid double tapping. I favor Boss pedals because they are built like tanks.
Same here with a pair of BossFS5U foot switches (These just make things easier IMHO). Does everything I want it to and no issues after about 6? years. BTW never used the aux in for jam tracks etc.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Loopers..................big fan!
First, I'd say do a search here on the forum, this has been discussed in depth on several occasions.

My opinion on your questions:

Well, think about your average song.........not many are more the a few minutes so, 5 min is probably good enough.

From my experience, USB serves different functions.
Many use USB to do software update, others uses USB to transfer files to/from the computer.
Having that capability is nice and may be worth a few extra bucks, but for general use, not necessary.
Depending on your personal attitude about complexity or simplicity, you may just want a basic unit with start/stop/play functions.

My 2 cents.........those functions are just gimmicks that you'll never miss if you don't have them.

I think having some sort of beat creator is a handy function.
Drums can make it more fun and rewarding to use because you get something added that you can't do on your own with just a guitar.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thinking about getting a looper and was looking for opinions from the cognoscenti. Mainly looking for something to lay down some rhythm and then solo over and then maybe record that for critique and/or posting here eventually. Not looking for anything overly complicated. I did view Griff's AAP session on Loopers from 2019.

Thanks.

I have several. Here's my 2 cents.

Ditto
If you just want to lay down some rhythm to practice over, I use a Ditto and it works great for me. I've had no problems with it. It's really basic Record a track & Make it louder or softer. That's it. I know Griff doesn't like the Ditto because he's had switches fail in several TC products. I'm sure he uses his TC stuff more than I do, but for the casual user like me I haven't had ANY TC product fail. YMMV

Looking for something more sophisticated?
Trio+ (Bass/Drums + Looper )
I have the basic Trio (Bass & Drums only) and I wish I had spent the money for the Trio Plus. While I wouldn't say I'd use it a lot, if you want to loop bass & drum tracks the PLUS is the way to go. Otherwise you have to have a Ditto AND a Trio.

Want MORE sophistication (Backwards? Why? .... Multiple sections? Maybe but complicated.)
I have a BOSS Jammaster that has WAY more features than I'd ever use (Maybe if I spent the time to learn it well, I'd use it for gigging?). For now it collects dust on my shelf.

I have / have had other pedals that had loopers built in and cost commensurately more.

Nutshell?
Want something cheap, easy to use and reliable (has been for me), get the Ditto.
Really want to add drums & Bass? Get the Trio Plus.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I have both a Jamman stereo and a trio+. Not used the Jamman since getting the trio+. The trio is great for getting a band backing track and looping over it. If I was playing out I may use the Jamman as you can put 2 guitars or a guitar and mike through it so would get rid of the need for a mixing desk and you can store large collections of backing tracks on sd cards so it could easily form the basis of a live act. I think the Trio+ can do the same but only 10 tracks per card and only tracks created on (rather than downloaded to it like on the jamman).

cheers

Al.

sloslunas

NM Blues
I have both a Jamman stereo and a trio+. Not used the Jamman since getting the trio+. The trio is great for getting a band backing track and looping over it. If I was playing out I may use the Jamman as you can put 2 guitars or a guitar and mike through it so would get rid of the need for a mixing desk and you can store large collections of backing tracks on sd cards so it could easily form the basis of a live act. I think the Trio+ can do the same but only 10 tracks per card and only tracks created on (rather than downloaded to it like on the jamman).

cheers

Al.
Two paws up on the Jamman Stereo. It is a keeper...

Steve

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Let us know how you like it..........pros and cons.
Very basic unit. 12 minute record time. No USB or computer connection. Very simple to use especially for someone with limited experience.. Personally I would rather play with my toys rather than spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to use them. Great for beginners.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
I see some units record at 16 bits and others record at 24 bits. Is that difference a big deal for someone other than a professional musician?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
If you're using it to create music to stream or sell, 24 might be beneficial.
For most other uses, such as guitar practice and having fun 16 will be fine.
Higher bit rate will likely reduce record time so if a unit has 16 or 24 the total record time will be lower if you use 24.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Thanks to all for the advice. I've narrowed it down to 2 options:

The EHX 360.....6 minutes total time that can be spread out over 11 separate loops that go to memory...no USB....24 bit....no drums...$107.00
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NanoLooper360--electro-harmonix-nano-looper-360-looper-pedal

NUX Core Looper....6 hrs running time with 99 memory presets for memory.....USB port....16 bit....40 drum sequences.....$99.
https://www.nuxefx.com/loop-core.html

I determined memory was a good thing, in case I'm having a good day rhythm wise, I can lay down 4 or 5 different grooves and keep them all instead of only being able to keep 1 as would happen if I had the RC-1, TC Ditto or MXR Clone Looper. I certainly don't need 6 hrs of running time or 99 presets but I do like the idea of some drums at least.

Last edited: