Looking for a Jam

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
If your willing to travel there are a few groups on meetup I used to play with and would recommend

The New York City Guitar Group Meets in Central Park for acoustic jams and does acoustic and electric open mics around Manhattan

GOOD VIBRATIONS-ROCKLAND ACOUSTIC GUITAR GROUP in Suffern NY. They get together @ Suffern and do acoustic/electric open mics around 287 on the Jersey side, sometimes up by Kingston

Looks like there is one in Danbury and one in Greenwich

https://www.meetup.com/find/music/?...01&change=yes&sort=recommended&eventFilter=my

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I was using them as synonyms. What's the difference?

Typically at an open mic you show up as an act (solo, duo, trio....) and sign up to play a set of a few songs that you've chosen and prepared. Usually at a jam, folks come as individual players and the host puts them together into ad hoc ensembles to jam together on songs chosen on the spot. There are no rigorous and universal definitions of either one and you will see wide variations in both. I've seen open mics that were run more like jams, and vice versa.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
dvs- Agree with your "typical" definitions. Local open mic that I sometimes go to is mostly solo acoustic guitar and singers, sometimes electric or duos. Even once had a rapper with backing track on his computer. The venue is small so no drum kits allowed.
Jam or blues jam is usually individuals signing up with their instrument and then being thrown together in a group. And it will probably be full electric band with bass and drums, maybe keys.There might be a house band to kick things off. It's generally good form to stick with "standards" that everyone should know.